Specialized cleaning associated with antimicrobial coatings for reduction of hospital-acquired infection: opinion of the COST Action Network AMiCI (CA15114).
AuthorsDunne, S S
Crijns, F R L
Keinänen-Toivola, M M
Keevil, C W
O'Connell, N H
Dunne, C P
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherJournal of Hospital Infection
JournalJournal of Hospital Infection
AbstractRecognized issues with poor hand hygiene compliance among healthcare workers and reports of recontamination of previously chemically disinfected surfaces through hand contact emphasize the need for novel hygiene methods in addition to those currently available. One such approach involves antimicrobial (nano) coatings (AMCs), whereby integrated active ingredients are responsible for elimination of micro-organisms that come into contact with treated surfaces. While widely studied under laboratory conditions with promising results, studies under real-life healthcare conditions are scarce. The views of 75 contributors from 30 European countries were collated regarding specialized cleaning associated with AMCs for reduction of healthcare-associated infection. There was unanimous agreement that generation of scientific guidelines for cleaning of AMCs, using traditional or new processes, is needed. Specific topics included: understanding mechanisms of action of cleaning materials and their physical interactions with conventional coatings and AMCs; that assessments mimic the life cycle of coatings to determine the impact of repetitive cleaning and other aspects of ageing (e.g. exposure to sunlight); determining concentrations of AMC-derived biocides in effluents; and development of effective de-activation and sterilization treatments for cleaning effluents. Further, the consensus opinion was that, prior to widespread implementation of AMCs, there is a need for clarification of the varying responsibilities of involved clinical, healthcare management, cleaning services and environmental safety stakeholders.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States
- Anti-microbial coating innovations to prevent infectious diseases (AMiCI): Cost action ca15114.
- Authors: Dunne CP, Keinänen-Toivola MM, Kahru A, Teunissen B, Olmez H, Gouveia I, Melo L, Murzyn K, Modic M, Ahonen M, Askew P, Papadopoulos T, Adlhart C, Crijns FRL
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 2
- Potential ecotoxicological effects of antimicrobial surface coatings: a literature survey backed up by analysis of market reports.
- Authors: Rosenberg M, Ilić K, Juganson K, Ivask A, Ahonen M, Vinković Vrček I, Kahru A
- Issue date: 2019
- Surface modifications for antimicrobial effects in the healthcare setting: a critical overview.
- Authors: Adlhart C, Verran J, Azevedo NF, Olmez H, Keinänen-Toivola MM, Gouveia I, Melo LF, Crijns F
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Dos and don'ts for hospital cleaning.
- Authors: Dancer SJ
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Hospital cleaning in the 21st century.
- Authors: Dancer SJ
- Issue date: 2011 Dec