Catching moving targets: cancer stem cell hierarchies, therapy-resistance & considerations for clinical intervention.
Drug Resistance, Neoplasm
Neoplastic Stem Cells
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCatching moving targets: cancer stem cell hierarchies, therapy-resistance & considerations for clinical intervention. 2017, 16 (1):43 Mol. Cancer
AbstractIt is widely believed that targeting the tumour-initiating cancer stem cell (CSC) component of malignancy has great therapeutic potential, particularly in therapy-resistant disease. However, despite concerted efforts, CSC-targeting strategies have not been efficiently translated to the clinic. This is partly due to our incomplete understanding of the mechanisms underlying CSC therapy-resistance. In particular, the relationship between therapy-resistance and the organisation of CSCs as Stem-Progenitor-Differentiated cell hierarchies has not been widely studied. In this review we argue that modern clinical strategies should appreciate that the CSC hierarchy is a dynamic target that contains sensitive and resistant components and expresses a collection of therapy-resisting mechanisms. We propose that the CSC hierarchy at primary presentation changes in response to clinical intervention, resulting in a recurrent malignancy that should be targeted differently. As such, addressing the hierarchical organisation of CSCs into our bench-side theory should expedite translation of CSC-targeting to bed-side practice. In conclusion, we discuss strategies through which we can catch these moving clinical targets to specifically compromise therapy-resistant disease.
- CD10<sup>-</sup>/ALDH<sup>-</sup> cells are the sole cisplatin-resistant component of a novel ovarian cancer stem cell hierarchy.
- Authors: Ffrench B, Gasch C, Hokamp K, Spillane C, Blackshields G, Mahgoub TM, Bates M, Kehoe L, Mooney A, Doyle R, Doyle B, O'Donnell D, Gleeson N, Hennessy BT, Stordal B, O'Riain C, Lambkin H, O'Toole S, O'Leary JJ, Gallagher MF
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 19
- Targeting cancer stem cell-specific markers and/or associated signaling pathways for overcoming cancer drug resistance.
- Authors: Ranji P, Salmani Kesejini T, Saeedikhoo S, Alizadeh AM
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Evolving Strategies for Therapeutically Targeting Cancer Stem Cells.
- Authors: Talukdar S, Emdad L, Das SK, Sarkar D, Fisher PB
- Issue date: 2016
- Cancer stem cells: a potential target for cancer therapy.
- Authors: Qiu H, Fang X, Luo Q, Ouyang G
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Cancer stem cell heterogeneity: origin and new perspectives on CSC targeting.
- Authors: Eun K, Ham SW, Kim H
- Issue date: 2017 Mar