Standardized Parenteral Nutrition for the Transition Phase in Preterm Infants: A Bag That Fits.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationStandardized Parenteral Nutrition for the Transition Phase in Preterm Infants: A Bag That Fits. 2018, 10 (2) Nutrients
AbstractThe optimal composition of standardized parenteral nutrition (SPN) is not yet known, contributing to nutrient deficit accrual and growth failure, with the period of parenteral nutrition weaning, i.e., transition (TN) phase, being identified as particularly vulnerable. We created a comprehensive nutrition database, representative of the nutritional course of a diverse range of preterm infants (n = 59, birth weight ≤ 1500 g, gestation < 34 weeks) by collecting hourly macronutrient intake data as part of a prospective, observational study over 19 months. Using a nutrient modeling technique for the TN phase, various amino acid (AA) concentrations of SPN were tested within the database, whilst acknowledging the nutritional contribution from enteral feeds until target AA intakes were consistently achieved. From the modeling, the AA composition of SPN was determined at 3.5 g/100 mL, which was the maximum to avoid exceeding target intakes at any point in the TN phase. However, in order to consistently achieve target AA intakes, additional nutritional strategies were required, which included increasing the exclusion of enteral feeds in fluid and nutrient calculations from <20 mL/kg/day to <40 mL/kg/day, and earlier fortification of breastmilk at 80 mL/kg/day. This data-driven nutrient modeling process supported the development of an improved SPN regimen for our preterm population in the TN phase.
- Transition Phase Nutrition Recommendations: A Missing Link in the Nutrition Management of Preterm Infants.
- Authors: Brennan AM, Fenton S, Murphy BP, Kiely ME
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Length of Nutritional Transition Associates Negatively with Postnatal Growth in Very Low Birthweight Infants.
- Authors: Immeli L, Sankilampi U, Mäkelä PM, Leskinen M, Sund R, Andersson S, Luukkainen P
- Issue date: 2021 Nov 6
- Protein Intakes during Weaning from Parenteral Nutrition Drive Growth Gain and Body Composition in Very Low Birth Weight Preterm Infants.
- Authors: Liotto N, Amato O, Piemontese P, Menis C, Orsi A, Corti MG, Colnaghi M, Cecchetti V, Pugni L, Mosca F, Roggero P
- Issue date: 2020 May 2
- Practice of parenteral nutrition in VLBW and ELBW infants.
- Authors: Embleton ND, Simmer K
- Issue date: 2014
- [Strategies for nutrition of the preterm infant with low and very low birth weight].
- Authors: Sluncheva B
- Issue date: 2010