What are the physical and psychological health effects of suicide bereavement on family members? Protocol for an observational and interview mixed-methods study in Ireland.
Local subject classificationBEREAVEMENT
Psychiatric Status Rating Scales
Quality of Life
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWhat are the physical and psychological health effects of suicide bereavement on family members? Protocol for an observational and interview mixed-methods study in Ireland. 2017, 7 (3):e014707 BMJ Open
AbstractEthical approval to conduct this study has been granted from the Clinical Research Ethics Committee of the Cork Teaching Hospitals. Pseudonyms will be given to participants to protect anonymity. It will be explained to participants that participation in the study is voluntary and they have to right to withdraw at any time. The findings of this research will be disseminated to regional, national and international audiences through publication in peer-reviewed international journals and presentations at scientific conferences. This research also forms part of a PhD thesis.
DescriptionResearch indicates that experiencing the suicide of a relative can have a significant impact on family members’ emotional health. However, research incorporating the impact of suicide bereavement on family members’ physical health is sparse. This paper details the protocol for a mixed-methods study of suicide-bereaved family members. The study will primarily examine the physical and mental health needs of those bereaved by suicide. A secondary objective of the study is to describe the support service needs of family members bereaved by suicide.
- What are the physical and psychological health effects of suicide bereavement on family members? An observational and interview mixed-methods study in Ireland.
- Authors: Spillane A, Matvienko-Sikar K, Larkin C, Corcoran P, Arensman E
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 13
- Physical and psychosomatic health outcomes in people bereaved by suicide compared to people bereaved by other modes of death: a systematic review.
- Authors: Spillane A, Larkin C, Corcoran P, Matvienko-Sikar K, Riordan F, Arensman E
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 12
- The grief experiences and needs of bereaved relatives and friends of older people dying through suicide: a descriptive and case-control study.
- Authors: Harwood D, Hawton K, Hope T, Jacoby R
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Attitudes to suicide following the suicide of a friend or relative: a qualitative study of the views of 429 young bereaved adults in the UK.
- Authors: Pitman A, Nesse H, Morant N, Azorina V, Stevenson F, King M, Osborn D
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 13
- Helpful and unhelpful responses after suicide: Experiences of bereaved family members.
- Authors: Peters K, Cunningham C, Murphy G, Jackson D
- Issue date: 2016 Oct