Risk Factors for Macro- and Microvascular Complications among Older Adults with Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes: Findings from The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing.
AuthorsTracey, Marsha L
McHugh, Sheena M
Fitzgerald, Anthony P
Buckley, Claire M
Canavan, Ronan J
Kearney, Patricia M
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2
Ischemic Attack, Transient
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRisk Factors for Macro- and Microvascular Complications among Older Adults with Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes: Findings from The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing. 2016, 2016:5975903 J Diabetes Res
PublisherJournal of diabetes research
JournalJournal of diabetes research
AbstractObjective. To explore risk factors for macro- and microvascular complications in a nationally representative sample of adults aged 50 years and over with type 2 diabetes in Ireland. Methods. Data from the first wave of The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA) (2009-2011) was used in cross-sectional analysis. The presence of doctor diagnosis of diabetes, risk factors, and macro- and microvascular complications were determined by self-report. Gender-specific differences in risk factor prevalence were assessed with the chi-squared test. Binomial regression analysis was conducted to explore independent associations between established risk factors and diabetes-related complications. Results. Among 8175 respondents, 655 were classified as having type 2 diabetes. Older age, being male, a history of smoking, a lower level of physical activity, and a diagnosis of high cholesterol were independent predictors of macrovascular complications. Diabetes diagnosis of 10 or more years, a history of smoking, and a diagnosis of hypertension were associated with an increased risk of microvascular complications. Older age, third-level education, and a high level of physical activity were protective factors (p < 0.05). Conclusions. Early intervention to target modifiable risk factors is urgently needed to reduce diabetes-related morbidity in the older population in Ireland.
- The prevalence of Type 2 diabetes and related complications in a nationally representative sample of adults aged 50 and over in the Republic of Ireland.
- Authors: Tracey ML, McHugh SM, Buckley CM, Canavan RJ, Fitzgerald AP, Kearney PM
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Burden and pattern of micro vascular complications in type 2 diabetes in a tertiary health institution in Nigeria.
- Authors: Olamoyegun M, Ibraheem W, Iwuala S, Audu M, Kolawole B
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Risk factors for the development of micro-vascular complications of type 2 diabetes in a single-centre cohort of patients.
- Authors: Teliti M, Cogni G, Sacchi L, Dagliati A, Marini S, Tibollo V, De Cata P, Bellazzi R, Chiovato L
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- U.K. Prospective Diabetes Study 22. Effect of age at diagnosis on diabetic tissue damage during the first 6 years of NIDDM.
- Authors: Davis TM, Stratton IM, Fox CJ, Holman RR, Turner RC
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Risk factors for microvascular and macrovascular complications in men and women with type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Wändell PE
- Issue date: 1999 Jun