Modulation of Radiation responses by pre-exposure to irradiated Cell conditioned medium.
KeywordsHUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS
Culture Media, Conditioned
Dose-Response Relationship, Radiation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationModulation of radiation responses by pre-exposure to irradiated cell conditioned medium. 2007, 167 (4):485-92 Radiat. Res.
PublisherRadiation Research Society
AbstractThe aim of this study was to investigate whether exposure of HPV-G cells to irradiated cell conditioned medium (ICCM) could induce an adaptive response if the cells were subsequently challenged with a higher ICCM dose. Clonogenic survival and major steps in the cascade leading to apoptosis, such as calcium influx and loss of mitochondrial membrane potential, were examined to determine whether these events could be modified by giving a priming dose of ICCM before the challenge dose. Clonogenic survival data indicated an ICCM-induced adaptive response in HPV-G cells "primed" with 5 mGy or 0.5 Gy ICCM for 24 h and then exposed to 0.5 Gy or 5 Gy ICCM. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) were found to be involved in the bystander-induced cell death. Calcium fluxes varied in magnitude across the exposed cell population, and a significant number of the primed HPV-G cells did not respond to the challenge ICCM dose. No significant loss of mitochondrial membrane potential was observed when HPV-G cells were exposed to 0.5 Gy ICCM for 24 h followed by exposure to 5 Gy ICCM for 6 h. Exposure of HPV-G cells to 5 mGy ICCM for 24 h followed by exposure to 0.5 Gy ICCM for 18 h caused a significant increase in mitochondrial mass and a change in mitochondrial location, events associated with the perpetuation of genomic instability. This study has shown that a priming dose of ICCM has the ability to induce an adaptive response in HPV-G cells subsequently exposed to a challenge dose of ICCM.
- Mitochondrial DNA point mutations and a novel deletion induced by direct low-LET radiation and by medium from irradiated cells.
- Authors: Murphy JE, Nugent S, Seymour C, Mothersill C
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 1
- Dilution of irradiated cell conditioned medium and the bystander effect.
- Authors: Ryan LA, Smith RW, Seymour CB, Mothersill CE
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Medium from irradiated cells induces dose-dependent mitochondrial changes and BCL2 responses in unirradiated human keratinocytes.
- Authors: Maguire P, Mothersill C, Seymour C, Lyng FM
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- The elimination of low-dose hyper-radiosensitivity by transfer of irradiated-cell conditioned medium depends on dose rate.
- Authors: Edin NJ, Sandvik JA, Olsen DR, Pettersen EO
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Comparison of direct and bystander effects induced by ionizing radiation in eight fish cell lines.
- Authors: O'Neill-Mehlenbacher A, Kilemade M, Elliott A, Mothersill C, Seymour C
- Issue date: 2007 Sep