The Role of Proteomics in Biomarker Development for Improved Patient Diagnosis and Clinical Decision Making in Prostate Cancer.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe Role of Proteomics in Biomarker Development for Improved Patient Diagnosis and Clinical Decision Making in Prostate Cancer. 2016, 6 (3) Diagnostics (Basel)
JournalDiagnostics (Basel, Switzerland)
AbstractProstate Cancer (PCa) is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in men worldwide. Although increased expression of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is an effective indicator for the recurrence of PCa, its intended use as a screening marker for PCa is of considerable controversy. Recent research efforts in the field of PCa biomarkers have focused on the identification of tissue and fluid-based biomarkers that would be better able to stratify those individuals diagnosed with PCa who (i) might best receive no treatment (active surveillance of the disease); (ii) would benefit from existing treatments; or (iii) those who are likely to succumb to disease recurrence and/or have aggressive disease. The growing demand for better prostate cancer biomarkers has coincided with the development of improved discovery and evaluation technologies for multiplexed measurement of proteins in bio-fluids and tissues. This review aims to (i) provide an overview of these technologies as well as describe some of the candidate PCa protein biomarkers that have been discovered using them; (ii) address some of the general limitations in the clinical evaluation and validation of protein biomarkers; and (iii) make recommendations for strategies that could be adopted to improve the successful development of protein biomarkers to deliver improvements in personalized PCa patient decision making.
- Proteomics in diagnosis of prostate cancer.
- Authors: Davalieva K, Polenakovic M
- Issue date: 2015
- The role of proteomics in prostate cancer research: biomarker discovery and validation.
- Authors: Pin E, Fredolini C, Petricoin EF 3rd
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Genomic Markers in Prostate Cancer Decision Making.
- Authors: Cucchiara V, Cooperberg MR, Dall'Era M, Lin DW, Montorsi F, Schalken JA, Evans CP
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Blood-based and urinary prostate cancer biomarkers: a review and comparison of novel biomarkers for detection and treatment decisions.
- Authors: Hendriks RJ, van Oort IM, Schalken JA
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Screening and New Biomarkers for Prostate Cancer (PCa).
- Authors: Stephan C, Rittenhouse H, Hu X, Cammann H, Jung K
- Issue date: 2014 Apr