Impact of Fatigue in Rheumatic Diseases in the Work Environment: A Qualitative Study.
Attitude to Health
MetadataShow full item record
CitationImpact of Fatigue in Rheumatic Diseases in the Work Environment: A Qualitative Study. 2015, 12 (11):13807-22 Int J Environ Res Public Health
JournalInternational journal of environmental research and public health
AbstractFatigue is a symptom of arthritis that causes difficulty at work. An improved understanding of this symptom could assist its management in the work environment. The aim of this study was to explore people with rheumatic diseases' experiences of fatigue in work. A qualitative descriptive design was used with semi-structured interviews and a constant comparative method of data analysis. There were 18 participants, the majority of them female with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and working full-time. Three themes were identified: "Impact of fatigue on work performance" with cognition, mood and physical abilities being the main difficulties reported. In the second theme "Disclosure at Work" participants discussed disclosing their disease to employers but reported a lack of understanding of fatigue from colleagues. The final theme "work-based fatigue management strategies" included cognitive strategies and energy management techniques, which were mainly self-taught. In this study, fatigue was reported to impact on many areas of work performance with limited understanding from colleagues and employers. Interventions from health professionals to assist with development of work-related self-management skills are required to assist with symptom management in the work place. Such interventions should include education to employers and colleagues on the nature of fatigue in Rheumatic diseases.
- Impact of a fatigue management in work programme on meeting work demands of individuals with rheumatic diseases: A pilot study.
- Authors: McCormack RC, O'Shea F, Doran M, Connolly D
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Disclosure, accommodations and self-care at work among adolescents with disabilities.
- Authors: Lindsay S, McDougall C, Sanford R
- Issue date: 2013
- The Experience of people with rheumatoid arthritis living with fatigue: a qualitative metasynthesis.
- Authors: Primdahl J, Hegelund A, Lorenzen AG, Loeppenthin K, Dures E, Appel Esbensen B
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 20
- "I actually just really need to stop work sometimes": Exploring fatigue-related barriers to employment among people with rheumatic diseases.
- Authors: Helme C, Hegarty RSM, Stebbings S, Treharne GJ
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Getting hired: successfully employed people with disabilities offer advice on disclosure, interviewing, and job search.
- Authors: Jans LH, Kaye HS, Jones EC
- Issue date: 2012 Jun