Chung, B H Y
Turinsky, A L
Chen, Y A
Cohen, A S A
Butcher, D T
Siu, M T
Luk, H M
Lo, I F M
Lam, S T S
Stavropoulos, D J
Gibson, W T
Gene Expression Regulation
Intracellular Signaling Peptides and Proteins
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNSD1 mutations generate a genome-wide DNA methylation signature. 2015, 6:10207 Nat Commun
PublisherNature Publishing Group
AbstractSotos syndrome (SS) represents an important human model system for the study of epigenetic regulation; it is an overgrowth/intellectual disability syndrome caused by mutations in a histone methyltransferase, NSD1. As layered epigenetic modifications are often interdependent, we propose that pathogenic NSD1 mutations have a genome-wide impact on the most stable epigenetic mark, DNA methylation (DNAm). By interrogating DNAm in SS patients, we identify a genome-wide, highly significant NSD1(+/-)-specific signature that differentiates pathogenic NSD1 mutations from controls, benign NSD1 variants and the clinically overlapping Weaver syndrome. Validation studies of independent cohorts of SS and controls assigned 100% of these samples correctly. This highly specific and sensitive NSD1(+/-) signature encompasses genes that function in cellular morphogenesis and neuronal differentiation, reflecting cardinal features of the SS phenotype. The identification of SS-specific genome-wide DNAm alterations will facilitate both the elucidation of the molecular pathophysiology of SS and the development of improved diagnostic testing.
- NSD1 PHD domains bind methylated H3K4 and H3K9 using interactions disrupted by point mutations in human sotos syndrome.
- Authors: Pasillas MP, Shah M, Kamps MP
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- NSD1 mutations deregulate transcription and DNA methylation of bivalent developmental genes in Sotos syndrome.
- Authors: Brennan K, Zheng H, Fahrner JA, Shin JH, Gentles AJ, Schaefer B, Sunwoo JB, Bernstein JA, Gevaert O
- Issue date: 2022 Jul 7
- Genome-Wide DNA Methylation Profiling Solves Uncertainty in Classifying NSD1 Variants.
- Authors: Ferilli M, Ciolfi A, Pedace L, Niceta M, Radio FC, Pizzi S, Miele E, Cappelletti C, Mancini C, Galluccio T, Andreani M, Iascone M, Chiriatti L, Novelli A, Micalizzi A, Matraxia M, Menale L, Faletra F, Prontera P, Pilotta A, Bedeschi MF, Capolino R, Baban A, Seri M, Mammì C, Zampino G, Digilio MC, Dallapiccola B, Priolo M, Tartaglia M
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 19
- Clinical and genetic spectrum of 18 unrelated Korean patients with Sotos syndrome: frequent 5q35 microdeletion and identification of four novel NSD1 mutations.
- Authors: Sohn YB, Lee CG, Ko JM, Yang JA, Yun JN, Jung EJ, Jin HS, Park SJ, Jeong SY
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- First identified Korean family with Sotos syndrome caused by a novel intragenic mutation in NSD1.
- Authors: Park SH, Lee JE, Sohn YB, Ko JM
- Issue date: 2014 Spring