Chung, B H Y
Turinsky, A L
Chen, Y A
Cohen, A S A
Butcher, D T
Siu, M T
Luk, H M
Lo, I F M
Lam, S T S
Stavropoulos, D J
Gibson, W T
Gene Expression Regulation
Intracellular Signaling Peptides and Proteins
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNSD1 mutations generate a genome-wide DNA methylation signature. 2015, 6:10207 Nat Commun
PublisherNature Publishing Group
AbstractSotos syndrome (SS) represents an important human model system for the study of epigenetic regulation; it is an overgrowth/intellectual disability syndrome caused by mutations in a histone methyltransferase, NSD1. As layered epigenetic modifications are often interdependent, we propose that pathogenic NSD1 mutations have a genome-wide impact on the most stable epigenetic mark, DNA methylation (DNAm). By interrogating DNAm in SS patients, we identify a genome-wide, highly significant NSD1(+/-)-specific signature that differentiates pathogenic NSD1 mutations from controls, benign NSD1 variants and the clinically overlapping Weaver syndrome. Validation studies of independent cohorts of SS and controls assigned 100% of these samples correctly. This highly specific and sensitive NSD1(+/-) signature encompasses genes that function in cellular morphogenesis and neuronal differentiation, reflecting cardinal features of the SS phenotype. The identification of SS-specific genome-wide DNAm alterations will facilitate both the elucidation of the molecular pathophysiology of SS and the development of improved diagnostic testing.
- NSD1 PHD domains bind methylated H3K4 and H3K9 using interactions disrupted by point mutations in human sotos syndrome.
- Authors: Pasillas MP, Shah M, Kamps MP
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- First identified Korean family with Sotos syndrome caused by a novel intragenic mutation in NSD1.
- Authors: Park SH, Lee JE, Sohn YB, Ko JM
- Issue date: 2014 Spring
- Clinical and genetic spectrum of 18 unrelated Korean patients with Sotos syndrome: frequent 5q35 microdeletion and identification of four novel NSD1 mutations.
- Authors: Sohn YB, Lee CG, Ko JM, Yang JA, Yun JN, Jung EJ, Jin HS, Park SJ, Jeong SY
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Hypoparathyroidism in a 3-year-old Korean boy with Sotos syndrome and a novel mutation in NSD1.
- Authors: Wejaphikul K, Cho SY, Huh R, Kwun Y, Lee J, Ki CS, Jin DK
- Issue date: 2015 Spring
- Identification of a novel de novo nonsense mutation of the NSD1 gene in monozygotic twins discordant for Sotos syndrome.
- Authors: Han JY, Lee IG, Jang W, Shin S, Park J, Kim M
- Issue date: 2017 Jul