Computed tomography dose optimisation in cystic fibrosis: A review.
O'Neill, Siobhan B
O'Connor, Owen J
MetadataShow full item record
CitationComputed tomography dose optimisation in cystic fibrosis: A review. 2016, 8 (4):331-41 World J Radiol
PublisherBaishideng Publishing Group Inc.
JournalWorld journal of radiology
AbstractCystic fibrosis (CF) is the most common autosomal recessive disease of the Caucasian population worldwide, with respiratory disease remaining the most relevant source of morbidity and mortality. Computed tomography (CT) is frequently used for monitoring disease complications and progression. Over the last fifteen years there has been a six-fold increase in the use of CT, which has lead to a growing concern in relation to cumulative radiation exposure. The challenge to the medical profession is to identify dose reduction strategies that meet acceptable image quality, but fulfil the requirements of a diagnostic quality CT. Dose-optimisation, particularly in CT, is essential as it reduces the chances of patients receiving cumulative radiation doses in excess of 100 mSv, a dose deemed significant by the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation. This review article explores the current trends in imaging in CF with particular emphasis on new developments in dose optimisation.
- Radiation dose from common radiological investigations and cumulative exposure in children with cystic fibrosis: an observational study from a single UK centre.
- Authors: Ward R, Carroll WD, Cunningham P, Ho SA, Jones M, Lenney W, Thompson D, Gilchrist FJ
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 21
- Pulmonary disease in cystic fibrosis: assessment with chest CT at chest radiography dose levels.
- Authors: Ernst CW, Basten IA, Ilsen B, Buls N, Van Gompel G, De Wachter E, Nieboer KH, Verhelle F, Malfroot A, Coomans D, De Maeseneer M, de Mey J
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Radiologic imaging in cystic fibrosis: cumulative effective dose and changing trends over 2 decades.
- Authors: O'Connell OJ, McWilliams S, McGarrigle A, O'Connor OJ, Shanahan F, Mullane D, Eustace J, Maher MM, Plant BJ
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Strategies for dose reduction with specific clinical indications during computed tomography.
- Authors: Joyce S, O'Connor OJ, Maher MM, McEntee MF
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Imaging in cystic fibrosis and non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis.
- Authors: Dodd JD, Lavelle LP, Fabre A, Brady D
- Issue date: 2015 Apr