Nurses' knowledge of advance directives and perceived confidence in end-of-life care: a cross-sectional study in five countries.
Friedman, M Isabel
Li, William H C
Molloy, D William
Fitzpatrick, Joyce J
END OF LIFE CARE
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNurses' knowledge of advance directives and perceived confidence in end-of-life care: a cross-sectional study in five countries. 2016: Int J Nurs Pract
JournalInternational journal of nursing practice
AbstractNurses' knowledge regarding advance directives may affect their administration and completion in end-of-life care. Confidence among nurses is a barrier to the provision of quality end-of-life care. This study investigated nurses' knowledge of advance directives and perceived confidence in end-of-life care, in Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, Italy and the USA using a cross-sectional descriptive design (n = 1089). In all countries, older nurses and those who had more professional experience felt more confident managing patients' symptoms at end-of-life and more comfortable stopping preventive medications at end-of-life. Nurses in the USA reported that they have more knowledge and experience of advance directives compared with other countries. In addition, they reported the highest levels of confidence and comfort in dealing with end-of-life care. Although legislation for advance directives does not yet exist in Ireland, nurses reported high levels of confidence in end-of-life care.
- Are advance directives helpful for good end of life decision making: a cross sectional survey of health professionals.
- Authors: Peicius E, Blazeviciene A, Kaminskas R
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 5
- Oncology nurses' knowledge, attitudes, and experiences regarding advance directives.
- Authors: Jezewski MA, Brown J, Wu YW, Meeker MA, Feng JY, Bu X
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 5
- Care staff's self-efficacy regarding end-of-life communication in the long-term care setting: Results of the PACE cross-sectional study in six European countries.
- Authors: Ten Koppel M, Onwuteaka-Philipsen BD, van der Steen JT, Kylänen M, Van den Block L, Smets T, Deliens L, Gambassi G, Collingridge Moore D, Szczerbińska K, Pasman HRW, PACE.
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Nurses' knowledge of advance directives.
- Authors: Crego PJ, Lipp EJ
- Issue date: 1998 May
- Knowledge, attitudes, experiences, and confidence of nurses in completing advance directives: a systematic synthesis of three studies.
- Authors: Ryan D, Jezewski MA
- Issue date: 2012 Jun