Azevedo, Maria João
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPerceived Risk of Mental Health Problems in Primary Care. 2015, 7:212 Front Aging Neurosci
PublisherFrontiers in aging neuroscience
JournalFrontiers in aging neuroscience
AbstractIn the face of limited resources and an aging population with increasingly care needs, healthcare systems must identify community-dwelling older adults with mental health problems at higher risk of adverse outcomes such as institutionalization, hospitalization and death, in order to deliver timely and efficient care. The objectives of this study were to assess the prevalence of mental health concerns and the associated perceived risk of adverse outcomes in a large sample of older patients in primary care (PC). We trained general practitioners and nurses to use the Risk Instrument for Screening in the Community to rank perceived risk of mental health concerns (including neurocognitive and mood disorders) from 1 (mild) to 3 (severe). The mean age of the 4499 people assessed was 76.3 years (SD = 7.3) and 2645 (58.8%) were female. According to the PC team 1616 (35.9%) were perceived to have mental health concerns of whom 847 (52.4%) were mild, 559 (34.6%) were moderate and 210 (13%) were severe. Patients with mental health concerns had higher odds of perceived risk of adverse outcomes (OR = 2.22, 95% CI 1.83-2.69 for institutionalization; OR = 1.66, 95% CI 1.41-1.94 for hospitalization; OR = 1.69, 95% CI 1.42-2.01 for death). These results suggest a high prevalence of mental health concerns among older adults and supports the need for early identification of patients at high-risk of adverse healthcare outcomes.
- Screening for markers of frailty and perceived risk of adverse outcomes using the Risk Instrument for Screening in the Community (RISC).
- Authors: O'Caoimh R, Gao Y, Svendrovski A, Healy E, O'Connell E, O'Keeffe G, Cronin U, O'Herlihy E, Cornally N, Molloy WD
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 19
- Components of the Risk Instrument for Screening in the Community (RISC) that Correlate with Public Health Nurses' Perception of Risk.
- Authors: Leahy-Warren P, O'Caoimh R, FitzGerald C, Cochrane A, Svendrovski A, Cronin U, O'Herlihy E, Cornally N, Gao Y, Healy E, O'Connell E, O'Keeffe G, Coveney S, McGlynn J, Fitzgerald C, Clarnette R, Molloy DW
- Issue date: 2015
- The Risk Instrument for Screening in the Community (RISC): a new instrument for predicting risk of adverse outcomes in community dwelling older adults.
- Authors: O'Caoimh R, Gao Y, Svendrovski A, Healy E, O'Connell E, O'Keeffe G, Cronin U, Igras E, O'Herlihy E, Fitzgerald C, Weathers E, Leahy-Warren P, Cornally N, Molloy DW
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 30
- Caregiver- and patient-directed interventions for dementia: an evidence-based analysis.
- Authors: Medical Advisory Secretariat.
- Issue date: 2008