Delivering care to oncology patients in the community: an innovative integrated approach.
MeSHCommunity Health Nursing
Delivery of Health Care, Integrated
Diffusion of Innovation
Education, Nursing, Continuing
Quality of Health Care
Quality of Life
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDelivering care to oncology patients in the community: an innovative integrated approach. 2014, 19 (8):382-7 Br J Community Nurs
PublisherBritish Journal of Community Nursing
JournalBritish journal of community nursing
AbstractA community oncology nursing programme was developed in Ireland between the hospital and community health services for patients receiving systemic cancer therapy, in response to a service need. A robust evaluation of the pilot programme was undertaken, which found that defined clinical procedures traditionally undertaken in hospitals were safely undertaken in the patient's home with no adverse effects. There was a dramatic decrease in hospital attendances for these defined clinical procedures, and hospital capacity was consequently freed up. Patients valued having aspects of their care delivered at home and reported that it improved their quality of life, including reduced hospital visits and travel time. Community nurses expanded their scope of practice and became partners with oncology day-ward nurses in caring for these patients. Community nurses developed the competence and confidence to safely deliver cancer care in the community. This initiative shows that defined elements of acute cancer care can be safely delivered in the community so long as the training and support are provided. The findings and recommendations of the evaluation resulted in university accreditation and approval for national roll-out of the programme. Integration of services between primary and secondary care is a key priority. This innovative programme is a good example of shared integrated care that benefits both patients and health-care providers.
- The NCI All Ireland Cancer Conference.
- Authors: Johnston PG, Daly PA, Liu E
- Issue date: 1999
- Reviewing a new model for delivering short-term specialist palliative care at home.
- Authors: Plummer S, Hearnshaw C
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- New models for elevating the practice and status of community-based nursing across the spectrum of cancer care in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Authors: Grimes C, Wanless RS, Damonti J
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Delivering chemotherapy with a nurse-led cancer outreach service.
- Authors: Neame B
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 9-15
- A qualitative evaluation of community and acute hospital nursing oncology services in Ireland.
- Authors: O'Mahony C, Byrne S, Aherne J, Hanan T, Mullen L, Keane M, Browne H, Malee K, Murphy KD
- Issue date: 2021 Apr