Ridgway, Paul F
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEpidemiological study of soft-tissue sarcomas in Ireland. 2015: Cancer Med
AbstractSoft-tissue sarcomas (STS) account for 1% of adult and 7% of pediatric malignancies. Histopathology and classification of these rare tumors requires further refinements. The aim of this paper is to describe the current incidence and survival of STS from 1994 to 2012 in Ireland and compare these with comparably coded international published reports. This is a retrospective, population study based on the data from the National Cancer Registry of Ireland (NCRI). Incidence and relative survival rates for STS in Ireland were generated. Incidence of STS based on gender, age and anatomical location was examined. Annual mean incidence rate (European Age Standardized) in Ireland between 1994 and 2012 was 4.48 ± 0.15 per 100,000 person-years. The overall relative 5-year survival rate of STS for the period 1994-2011 in Ireland was 56%, which was similar to that reported in the U.K. but lower than in most of Europe and U.S.A. Survival rate fluctuated over the period examined, declining slightly in females but showing an increase in males. STS incidence trends in Ireland were comparable to international reports. Survival trends of STS were significantly different between Ireland and other European countries, requiring further study to understand causation.
- Incidence of soft tissue sarcoma and beyond: a population-based prospective study in 3 European regions.
- Authors: Mastrangelo G, Coindre JM, Ducimetière F, Dei Tos AP, Fadda E, Blay JY, Buja A, Fedeli U, Cegolon L, Frasson A, Ranchère-Vince D, Montesco C, Ray-Coquard I, Rossi CR
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 1
- A population-based study of soft tissue sarcoma incidence and survival in Australia: An analysis of 26,970 cases.
- Authors: Bessen T, Caughey GE, Shakib S, Potter JA, Reid J, Farshid G, Roder D, Neuhaus SJ
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Incidence, mortality, and survival trends of soft tissue and bone sarcoma in Switzerland between 1996 and 2015.
- Authors: Kollár A, Rothermundt C, Klenke F, Bode B, Baumhoer D, Arndt V, Feller A, NICER Working Group.
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- [Increasing frequency of soft tissue sarcomas in The Netherlands].
- Authors: Schuurman B, Meyer S, Cuesta MA, Nauta JJ
- Issue date: 1992 Aug 8
- Incidence patterns of soft tissue sarcomas, regardless of primary site, in the surveillance, epidemiology and end results program, 1978-2001: An analysis of 26,758 cases.
- Authors: Toro JR, Travis LB, Wu HJ, Zhu K, Fletcher CD, Devesa SS
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 15