Diabetic retinopathy in pregnancy: a population-based study of women with pregestational diabetes.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDiabetic retinopathy in pregnancy: a population-based study of women with pregestational diabetes. 2015, 2015:310239 J Diabetes Res
PublisherJournal of diabetes research
JournalJournal of diabetes research
AbstractThe aim of this observational study was to evaluate screening and progression of diabetic retinopathy during pregnancy in women with pregestational diabetes attending five antenatal centres along the Irish Atlantic seaboard. An adequate frequency of screening was defined as at least two retinal evaluations in separate trimesters. Progression was defined as at least one stage of deterioration of diabetic retinopathy and/or development of diabetic macular edema on at least one eye. Women with pregestational diabetes who delivered after 22 gestational weeks (n = 307) were included. In total, 185 (60.3%) had an adequate number of retinal examinations. Attendance at prepregnancy care was associated with receiving adequate screening (odds ratio 6.23; CI 3.39-11.46 (P < 0.001)). Among those who received adequate evaluations (n = 185), 48 (25.9%) had retinopathy progression. Increasing booking systolic blood pressure (OR 1.03, CI 1.01-1.06, P = 0.02) and greater drop in HbA1c between first and third trimesters of pregnancy (OR 2.05, CI 1.09-3.87, P = 0.03) significantly increased the odds of progression. A significant proportion of women continue to demonstrate retinopathy progression during pregnancy. This study highlights the role of prepregnancy care and the importance of close monitoring during pregnancy and identifies those patients at the highest risk for retinopathy progression.
- Impact of pregnancy on the progression of diabetic retinopathy in Type 1 diabetes.
- Authors: Temple RC, Aldridge VA, Sampson MJ, Greenwood RH, Heyburn PJ, Glenn A
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- Effect of pregnancy on progression of diabetic retinopathy.
- Authors: Klein BE, Moss SE, Klein R
- Issue date: 1990 Jan
- Progression of diabetic retinopathy during pregnancy in women with type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Rasmussen KL, Laugesen CS, Ringholm L, Vestgaard M, Damm P, Mathiesen ER
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Pregnancy-induced sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy in women with Type 1 diabetes.
- Authors: Vestgaard M, Ringholm L, Laugesen CS, Rasmussen KL, Damm P, Mathiesen ER
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Pre-eclampsia is a potent risk factor for deterioration of retinopathy during pregnancy in Type 1 diabetic patients.
- Authors: Lövestam-Adrian M, Agardh CD, Aberg A, Agardh E
- Issue date: 1997 Dec