A case of failed eradication of cystic fibrosis-related sinus colonisation by Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA case of failed eradication of cystic fibrosis-related sinus colonisation by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. 2015, 15:114 BMC Pulm Med
PublisherBMC pulmonary medicine
JournalBMC pulmonary medicine
AbstractFew reports have addressed the paranasal sinuses as a reservoir for lung infection in cystic fibrosis patients despite increased recognition of the need to investigate this niche. In this case, attempts at eradication of P. aeruginosa present in paranasal sinuses including oral and nebulised antimicrobials proved unsuccessful. However, detection of P. aeruginosa in the paranasal sinuses instigated antimicrobial treatment which may have contributed to prevention of migration to the lower airways. Our outcome provides additional insight and may indicate utility of nasal lavage or nasal endoscopy in paediatric cystic fibrosis patients' annual review clinic visits.
- Bacteriology and treatment of infections in the upper and lower airways in patients with primary ciliary dyskinesia: adressing the paranasal sinuses.
- Authors: Alanin MC
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Evolution and diversification of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in the paranasal sinuses of cystic fibrosis children have implications for chronic lung infection.
- Authors: Hansen SK, Rau MH, Johansen HK, Ciofu O, Jelsbak L, Yang L, Folkesson A, Jarmer HØ, Aanæs K, von Buchwald C, Høiby N, Molin S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Effect of bronchoalveolar lavage-directed therapy on Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection and structural lung injury in children with cystic fibrosis: a randomized trial.
- Authors: Wainwright CE, Vidmar S, Armstrong DS, Byrnes CA, Carlin JB, Cheney J, Cooper PJ, Grimwood K, Moodie M, Robertson CF, Tiddens HA, ACFBAL Study Investigators.
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 13
- Inhalable Antimicrobials for Treatment of Bacterial Biofilm-Associated Sinusitis in Cystic Fibrosis Patients: Challenges and Drug Delivery Approaches.
- Authors: Kłodzińska SN, Priemel PA, Rades T, Mørck Nielsen H
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 9
- Management of sinusitis in cystic fibrosis by endoscopic surgery and serial antimicrobial lavage. Reduction in recurrence requiring surgery.
- Authors: Moss RB, King VV
- Issue date: 1995 May