Cyclic nucleotide dependent dephosphorylation of regulator of G-protein signaling 18 in human platelets.
Local subject classificationNUCLEOTIDES
Cyclic AMP-Dependent Protein Kinases
Cyclic GMP-Dependent Protein Kinases
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCyclic nucleotide dependent dephosphorylation of regulator of G-protein signaling 18 in human platelets. 2013, 8 (11):e80251 PLoS ONE
AbstractRegulator of G-protein signaling 18 (RGS18) is a GTPase-activating protein that turns off Gq signaling in platelets. RGS18 is regulated by binding to the adaptor protein 14-3-3 via phosphorylated serine residues S49 and S218 on RGS18. In this study we confirm that thrombin, thromboxane A2, or ADP stimulate the interaction of RGS18 and 14-3-3 by increasing the phosphorylation of S49. Cyclic AMP- and cyclic GMP-dependent kinases (PKA, PKG) inhibit the interaction of RGS18 and 14-3-3 by phosphorylating S216. To understand the effect of S216 phosphorylation we studied the phosphorylation kinetics of S49, S216, and S218 using Phos-tag gels and phosphorylation site-specific antibodies in transfected cells and in platelets. Cyclic nucleotide-induced detachment of 14-3-3 from RGS18 coincides initially with double phosphorylation of S216 and S218. This is followed by dephosphorylation of S49 and S218. Dephosphorylation of S49 and S218 might be mediated by protein phosphatase 1 (PP1) which is linked to RGS18 by the regulatory subunit PPP1R9B (spinophilin). We conclude that PKA and PKG induced S216 phosphorylation triggers the dephosphorylation of the 14-3-3 binding sites of RGS18 in platelets.
- Regulator of G-protein signaling 18 integrates activating and inhibitory signaling in platelets.
- Authors: Gegenbauer K, Elia G, Blanco-Fernandez A, Smolenski A
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 19
- Modulating platelet reactivity through control of RGS18 availability.
- Authors: Ma P, Ou K, Sinnamon AJ, Jiang H, Siderovski DP, Brass LF
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 10
- Cyclic Nucleotide-dependent Protein Kinases Target ARHGAP17 and ARHGEF6 Complexes in Platelets.
- Authors: Nagy Z, Wynne K, von Kriegsheim A, Gambaryan S, Smolenski A
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 11
- Regulation of Gβγi-dependent PLC-β3 activity in smooth muscle: inhibitory phosphorylation of PLC-β3 by PKA and PKG and stimulatory phosphorylation of Gαi-GTPase-activating protein RGS2 by PKG.
- Authors: Nalli AD, Kumar DP, Al-Shboul O, Mahavadi S, Kuemmerle JF, Grider JR, Murthy KS
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Phosphorylation of CalDAG-GEFI by protein kinase A prevents Rap1b activation.
- Authors: Subramanian H, Zahedi RP, Sickmann A, Walter U, Gambaryan S
- Issue date: 2013 Aug