Influences of the colonic microbiome on the mucous gel layer in ulcerative colitis.
Devane, Liam A
Winter, Desmond C
Coffey, J Calvin
O'Connell, P Ronan
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInfluences of the colonic microbiome on the mucous gel layer in ulcerative colitis., 5 (3):277-85 Gut Microbes
AbstractThe colonic mucus gel layer (MGL) is a critical component of the innate immune system acting as a physical barrier to microbes, luminal insults, and toxins. Mucins are the major component of the MGL. Selected microbes have the potential to interact with, bind to, and metabolize mucins. The tolerance of the host to the presence of these microbes is critical to maintaining MGL homeostasis. In disease states such as ulcerative colitis (UC), both the mucosa associated microbes and the constituent MGL mucins have been shown to be altered. Evidence is accumulating that implicates the potential for mucin degrading bacteria to negatively impact the MGL and its stasis. These effects appear more pronounced in UC. This review is focused on the host-microbiome interactions within the setting of the MGL. Special focus is given to the mucolytic potential of microbes and their interactions in the setting of the colitic colon.
- Correlations between colonic crypt mucin chemotype, inflammatory grade and Desulfovibrio species in ulcerative colitis.
- Authors: Lennon G, Balfe Á, Bambury N, Lavelle A, Maguire A, Docherty NG, Coffey JC, Winter DC, Sheahan K, O'Connell PR
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Bacteria penetrate the normally impenetrable inner colon mucus layer in both murine colitis models and patients with ulcerative colitis.
- Authors: Johansson ME, Gustafsson JK, Holmén-Larsson J, Jabbar KS, Xia L, Xu H, Ghishan FK, Carvalho FA, Gewirtz AT, Sjövall H, Hansson GC
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Ulcerative colitis as a polymicrobial infection characterized by sustained broken mucus barrier.
- Authors: Chen SJ, Liu XW, Liu JP, Yang XY, Lu FG
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 28
- Spontaneous colitis in Muc2-deficient mice reflects clinical and cellular features of active ulcerative colitis.
- Authors: Wenzel UA, Magnusson MK, Rydström A, Jonstrand C, Hengst J, Johansson ME, Velcich A, Öhman L, Strid H, Sjövall H, Hansson GC, Wick MJ
- Issue date: 2014
- Spatial variation of the colonic microbiota in patients with ulcerative colitis and control volunteers.
- Authors: Lavelle A, Lennon G, O'Sullivan O, Docherty N, Balfe A, Maguire A, Mulcahy HE, Doherty G, O'Donoghue D, Hyland J, Ross RP, Coffey JC, Sheahan K, Cotter PD, Shanahan F, Winter DC, O'Connell PR
- Issue date: 2015 Oct