MetadataShow full item record
CitationNanotechnologies for the study of the central nervous system. 2014, 123:18-36 Prog. Neurobiol.
JournalProgress in neurobiology
AbstractThe impact of central nervous system (CNS) disorders on the human population is significant, contributing almost €800 billion in annual European healthcare costs. These disorders not only have a disabling social impact but also a crippling economic drain on resources. Developing novel therapeutic strategies for these disorders requires a better understanding of events that underlie mechanisms of neural circuit physiology. Studying the relationship between genetic expression, synapse development and circuit physiology in CNS function is a challenging task, involving simultaneous analysis of multiple parameters and the convergence of several disciplines and technological approaches. However, current gold-standard techniques used to study the CNS have limitations that pose unique challenges to furthering our understanding of functional CNS development. The recent advancement in nanotechnologies for biomedical applications has seen the emergence of nanoscience as a key enabling technology for delivering a translational bridge between basic and clinical research. In particular, the development of neuroimaging and electrophysiology tools to identify the aetiology and progression of CNS disorders have led to new insights in our understanding of CNS physiology and the development of novel diagnostic modalities for therapeutic intervention. This review focuses on the latest applications of these nanotechnologies for investigating CNS function and the improved diagnosis of CNS disorders.
- Metal and metal oxide nanoparticles in chemiresistors: does the nanoscale matter?
- Authors: Franke ME, Koplin TJ, Simon U
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Liposome-nanoparticle hybrids for multimodal diagnostic and therapeutic applications.
- Authors: Al-Jamal WT, Kostarelos K
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Uses of nanoparticles for central nervous system imaging and therapy.
- Authors: Provenzale JM, Silva GA
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Nanochannels preparation and application in biosensing.
- Authors: de la Escosura-Muñiz A, Merkoçi A
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 25
- Leveraging the interplay of nanotechnology and neuroscience: Designing new avenues for treating central nervous system disorders.
- Authors: Smith ES, Porterfield JE, Kannan RM
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 4