Affiliation1Department of Respiratory Medicine, Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7, Ireland. 2Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 308232.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe Impact of Immunosenescence on Pulmonary Disease. 2015, 2015:692546 Mediators Inflamm.
PublisherHindawi Publishing Corp.
JournalMediators of inflammation
AbstractThe global population is aging with significant gains in life expectancy particularly in the developed world. Consequently, greater focus on understanding the processes that underlie physiological aging has occurred. Key facets of advancing age include genomic instability, telomere shortening, epigenetic changes, and declines in immune function termed immunosenescence. Immunosenescence and its associated chronic low grade systemic "inflamm-aging" contribute to the development and progression of pulmonary disease in older individuals. These physiological processes predispose to pulmonary infection and confer specific and unique clinical phenotypes observed in chronic respiratory disease including late-onset asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and pulmonary fibrosis. Emerging concepts of the gut and airway microbiome further complicate the interrelationship between host and microorganism particularly from an immunological perspective and especially so in the setting of immunosenescence. This review focuses on our current understanding of the aging process, immunosenescence, and how it can potentially impact on various pulmonary diseases and the human microbiome.
- Is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease an Accelerated Aging Disease?
- Authors: MacNee W
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Cellular Senescence, Immunosenescence and HIV.
- Authors: Fülöp T, Herbein G, Cossarizza A, Witkowski JM, Frost E, Dupuis G, Pawelec G, Larbi A
- Issue date: 2017
- Mechanisms of lung aging.
- Authors: Brandenberger C, Mühlfeld C
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- The Role of Immunosenescence in the Development of Age-Related Diseases.
- Authors: Fülöp T, Dupuis G, Witkowski JM, Larbi A
- Issue date: 2016 Mar-Apr
- Aging and the microbiome: implications for asthma in the elderly?
- Authors: Chotirmall SH, Burke CM
- Issue date: 2015 Apr