A novel serum microRNA panel to discriminate benign from malignant ovarian disease.
Saadeh, Feras Abu
O'Donnell, Dearbhaile M
Aged, 80 and over
Gene Expression Profiling
Gene Expression Regulation, Neoplastic
Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction
Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction
Tumor Markers, Biological
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA novel serum microRNA panel to discriminate benign from malignant ovarian disease. 2015, 356 (2 Pt B):628-36 Cancer Lett.
AbstractOvarian cancer is the seventh most common cancer in women and the most frequent cause of gynaecological malignancy-related mortality in women. Currently, no standardized reliable screening test exists. MicroRNA profiling has allowed the identification of signatures associated with diagnosis, prognosis and response to treatment of human tumours. The aim of this study was to determine if a microRNA signature could distinguish between malignant and benign ovarian disease. A training set of 5 serous ovarian carcinomas and 5 benign serous cystadenomas were selected for the initial experiments. The validation set included 20 serous ovarian carcinomas and 20 benign serous cystadenomas. The serum/plasma focus microRNA Exiqon panel was used for the training set. For the validation set a pick and mix Exiqon panel, which focuses on microRNAs of interest was used. A panel of 4 microRNAs (let-7i-5p, miR-122, miR-152-5p and miR-25-3p) was significantly down regulated in cancer patients. These microRNAs target WNT signalling, AKT/mTOR and TLR-4/MyD88, which have previously been found to play a role in ovarian carcinogenesis and chemoresistance. let-7i-5p, miR-122, miR-152-5p and miR-25-3p could act as diagnostic biomarkers in ovarian cancer.
- MicroRNA expression in ovarian carcinoma and its correlation with clinicopathological features.
- Authors: Lee H, Park CS, Deftereos G, Morihara J, Stern JE, Hawes SE, Swisher E, Kiviat NB, Feng Q
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 27
- A ten-microRNA signature identified from a genome-wide microRNA expression profiling in human epithelial ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Wang L, Zhu MJ, Ren AM, Wu HF, Han WM, Tan RY, Tu RQ
- Issue date: 2014
- Herpes virus microRNA expression and significance in serous ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Pandya D, Mariani M, McHugh M, Andreoli M, Sieber S, He S, Dowell-Martino C, Fiedler P, Scambia G, Ferlini C
- Issue date: 2014
- MicroRNA signatures of tumor-derived exosomes as diagnostic biomarkers of ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Taylor DD, Gercel-Taylor C
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Global miRNA expression analysis of serous and clear cell ovarian carcinomas identifies differentially expressed miRNAs including miR-200c-3p as a prognostic marker.
- Authors: Vilming Elgaaen B, Olstad OK, Haug KB, Brusletto B, Sandvik L, Staff AC, Gautvik KM, Davidson B
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 11