Metachronous adenocarcinoma of the remnant oesophagus 15 years following multimodal therapy.
Neoplasm Recurrence, Local
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMetachronous adenocarcinoma of the remnant oesophagus 15 years following multimodal therapy. 2015, 108 (1):22-3 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractA 53-year-old man underwent neo-adjuvant chemo-radiotherapy and a 2 stage oesophagectomy for a junctional oesophageal tumour in 1996. In March 2012, a metachronous oesophageal tumour was identified, 7cm above the anastomotic margin, on a background of non-inflamed squamous mucosa. He is currently being managed with chemo-radiotherapy. Oesophageal cancer is associated with a historically poor survival rate, with primary concerns being local recurrence or death from disseminated disease. This case highlights the challenges which must be faced, as treatment strategies improve and consequently survival rates increase.
- Margin involvement and outcome in oesophageal carcinoma: a 10-year experience in a specialist unit.
- Authors: Mulligan ED, Dunne B, Griffin M, Keeling N, Reynolds JV
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Impact of circumferential resection margin distance on locoregional recurrence and survival after chemoradiotherapy in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Chao YK, Yeh CJ, Chang HK, Tseng CK, Chu YY, Hsieh MJ, Wu YC, Liu HP
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- [Therapeutic decisions in patients with operable, non-metastatic oesophageal cancer].
- Authors: Fuchs HF, Hölscher AH
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Outcome of oesophagectomy for adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus and oesophagogastric junction.
- Authors: Zhang X, Watson DI, Jamieson GG, Lally C, Bessell JR, Devitt PG
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- Oesophagectomy for tumours and dysplasia of the oesophagus and gastro-oesophageal junction.
- Authors: Epari K, Cade R
- Issue date: 2009 Apr