Left atrial appendage thrombus with resulting stroke post-RF ablation for atrial fibrillation in a patient on dabigatran.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLeft atrial appendage thrombus with resulting stroke post-RF ablation for atrial fibrillation in a patient on dabigatran., 107 (10):329-30 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractDabigatran etexilate is licensed for use in prevention of deep venous thromboembolism and in prevention of stroke and systemic embolism in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (AF). It has also been used in patients for other indications as a substitute for warfarin therapy because it requires no monitoring; one group being patients undergoing radiofrequency (RF), ablation for AF, although there have been no consensus guidelines with regards to dosage and timing of dose. We report the case of a patient with documentary evidence of left atrial appendage (LAA) thrombus formation and neurological sequelae post-RF ablation despite being on dabigatran. This case highlights the concern that periprocedural dabigatran may not provide adequate protection from development of LAA thrombus and that a standardised protocol will need to be developed and undergo large multicentre trials before dabigatran can be safely used for patients undergoing RF-ablation.
- Dabigatran versus warfarin therapy for uninterrupted oral anticoagulation during atrial fibrillation ablation.
- Authors: Maddox W, Kay GN, Yamada T, Osorio J, Doppalapudi H, Plumb VJ, Gunter A, McElderry HT
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Continuous warfarin versus periprocedural dabigatran to reduce stroke and systemic embolism in patients undergoing catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation or left atrial flutter.
- Authors: Kaiser DW, Streur MM, Nagarakanti R, Whalen SP, Ellis CR
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Reversing dabigatran in life-threatening bleeding occurring during cardiac ablation with factor eight inhibitor bypassing activity.
- Authors: Dager WE, Gosselin RC, Roberts AJ
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Meta-analysis of risk of stroke or transient ischemic attack with dabigatran for atrial fibrillation ablation.
- Authors: Sardar P, Nairooz R, Chatterjee S, Wetterslev J, Ghosh J, Aronow WS
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 1
- Dabigatran and factor Xa inhibitors for stroke prevention in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation.
- Authors: Uchiyama S, Ibayashi S, Matsumoto M, Nagao T, Nagata K, Nakagawara J, Tanahashi N, Tanaka K, Toyoda K, Yasaka M
- Issue date: 2012 Apr