Acute stroke unit improves stroke management-four years on from INASC.
Aged, 80 and over
Platelet Aggregation Inhibitors
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAcute stroke unit improves stroke management-four years on from INASC. 2015, 108 (2):51-3 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe Irish Heart Foundation carried out the Irish National Audit of Stroke Care (INASC) in 2008. Management practices were significantly poorer than those in the UK Sentinel audits. Since then an acute stroke unit has been established in University Hospital Limerick. A stroke database was established. 12 key indicators of stroke management audited by INASC were identified. Results were compared to those in INASC. 89 stroke patients were admitted. 8 of the 12 key indicators scored significantly better than in INASC. 92.5% had a brain scan within 24hrs (INASC-40%, p = < 0.001). 100% of ischaemic strokes received anti-thrombotics (INASC-85%, p = 0.001). 94% had rehab goals agreed by MDT (22% in INASC p = 0.0000). 55% were treated in stroke unit (2% in INASC, p = 0.0000). MDT input improved with regard to physiotherapy (87% vs 43% in INASC, p = < 0.02) and SALT (74% vs 26%, p = < 0.02). Stroke management has significantly improved from 2008, however some deficiencies remain.
- New Zealand National Acute Stroke Services Audit: acute stroke care delivery in New Zealand.
- Authors: Child N, Fink J, Jones S, Voges K, Vivian M, Barber PA
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 29
- Quality in Acute Stroke Care (QASC): process evaluation of an intervention to improve the management of fever, hyperglycemia, and swallowing dysfunction following acute stroke.
- Authors: Drury P, Levi C, D'Este C, McElduff P, McInnes E, Hardy J, Dale S, Cheung NW, Grimshaw JM, Quinn C, Ward J, Evans M, Cadilhac D, Griffiths R, Middleton S
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Management and outcome of patients with transient ischemic attack admitted to a stroke unit.
- Authors: Calvet D, Lamy C, Touzé E, Oppenheim C, Meder JF, Mas JL
- Issue date: 2007
- Clinical impact of local implementation of agreed guidelines for the management of patients with acute myocardial infarction.
- Authors: Badano L, Cassin M, Solinas L, Burelli C, Macor F, Zanuttini D
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- Atrial fibrillation and stroke risk prevention in real-life clinical practice.
- Authors: Tay KH, Lip GY, Lane DA
- Issue date: 2009 Mar