Aged, 80 and over
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIn-hospital stroke: characteristics and outcomes. 2015, 108 (1):24-5 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractIn-hospital stroke (IS) made up 6.5% of strokes recorded in the Irish National Stroke Register in 2012. International research has demonstrated poorer outcomes post IS compared to out of hospital stroke (OS). We aimed to profile all IS and OS over a 22 month period and compare the two groups by gathering data from the HIPE portal stroke register. The study site is a primary stroke centre. IS represented 11% (50/458) of total strokes with over half (27/50, 54%) admitted initially with medical complaints. IS patients had a significantly longer length of stay (79.2 +/- 87.4 days vs. 21.9 +/- 45.9 days, p < 0.01) and higher mortality (13/50 vs. 39/408, p < 0.01). Patients in the IS group were also less likely to receive stroke unit care (1/50 vs. 136/408, p < 0.01). This study demonstrates the significant morbidity and mortality associated with IS and highlights the need for efforts to be made to optimize identification and management of acute stroke in this cohort.
- Outcomes for people with atrial fibrillation in an Australian national audit of stroke care.
- Authors: Andrew N, Kilkenny M, Harris D, Price C, Cadilhac DA
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- The burden of alcohol misuse on emergency in-patient hospital admissions among residents from a health board region in Ireland.
- Authors: O'Farrell A, Allwright S, Downey J, Bedford D, Howell F
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Stroke in the very elderly: hospital care, case fatality and disposition.
- Authors: Saposnik G, Black S, Stroke Outcome Research Canada (SORCan) Working Group
- Issue date: 2009
- [Hospital care of stroke patients: importance of expert neurological care].
- Authors: Alvarez-Sabín J, Ribó M, Masjuan J, Tejada JR, Quintana M, Investigadores del Estudio PRACTIC
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Acute treatment costs of stroke in Brazil.
- Authors: Christensen MC, Valiente R, Sampaio Silva G, Lee WC, Dutcher S, Guimarães Rocha MS, Massaro A
- Issue date: 2009