Prediction of hospital mortality by changes in the estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR).
Glomerular Filtration Rate
Predictive Value of Tests
Severity of Illness Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPrediction of hospital mortality by changes in the estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR). 2015, 108 (3):87-9 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractDeterioration of physiological or laboratory variables may provide important prognostic information. We have studied whether a change in estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) value calculated using the (Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) formula) over the hospital admission, would have predictive value. An analysis was performed on all emergency medical hospital episodes (N = 61964) admitted between 1 January 2002 and 31 December 2011. A stepwise logistic regression model examined the relationship between mortality and change in renal function from admission to discharge. The fully adjusted Odds Ratios (OR) for 5 classes of GFR deterioration showed a stepwise increased risk of 30-day death with OR's of 1.42 (95% CI: 1.20, 1.68), 1.59 (1.27, 1.99), 2.71 (2.24, 3.27), 5.56 (4.54, 6.81) and 11.9 (9.0, 15.6) respectively. The change in eGFR during a clinical episode, following an emergency medical admission, powerfully predicts the outcome.
- Using the MDRD value as an outcome predictor in emergency medical admissions.
- Authors: Chin JL, O'Dowd S, Adnan WA, Bennett K, O'Riordan D, Mellotte GJ, Silke B
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Age- and gender-specific values of estimated glomerular filtration rate among 6232 patients undergoing cardiac surgery.
- Authors: Diez C, Mohr P, Koch D, Silber RE, Schmid C, Hofmann HS
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- [Value of estimated glomerular filtration rate and serum creatinine for predicting long-term survival in Chinese patients after isolated coronary artery bypass graft surgery].
- Authors: Lin Y, Zheng Z, Hu SS, Xu JP, Lü F, Wang W, Song YH, Sun HS, Yuan X, Pan XB
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Selecting a prognostic renal surrogate for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing transarterial chemoembolization.
- Authors: Lee YH, Hsu CY, Huang YH, Su CW, Lin HC, Lee RC, Chiou YY, Huo TI, Lee SD
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) as a predictor of outcome after infrainguinal bypass in patients with critical limb ischemia.
- Authors: Arvela E, Söderström M, Albäck A, Aho PS, Tikkanen I, Lepäntalo M
- Issue date: 2008 Jul