Victimisation and psychosocial difficulties associated with sexual orientation concerns: a school-based study of adolescents.
LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL AND TRANSGENDER
Local subject classificationLGBT
MetadataShow full item record
CitationVictimisation and psychosocial difficulties associated with sexual orientation concerns: a school-based study of adolescents., 107 (10):310-3 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis study examined victimisation, substance misuse, relationships, sexual activity, mental health difficulties and suicidal behaviour among adolescents with sexual orientation concerns in comparison to those without such concerns. 1112 Irish students (mean age 14 yrs) in 17 mixed-gender secondary schools completed a self-report questionnaire with standardised scales and measures of psychosocial difficulties. 58 students (5%) reported having concerns regarding their sexual orientation. Compared with their peers, they had higher levels of mental health difficulties and a markedly-increased prevalence of attempted suicide (29% vs. 2%), physical assault (40% vs. 8%), sexual assault (16%vs. 1%) and substance misuse. Almost all those (90%) with sexual orientation concerns reported having had sex compared to just 4% of their peers. These results highlight the significant difficulties associated with sexual orientation concerns in adolescents in Ireland. Early and targeted interventions are essential to address their needs.
- Association between sexual behaviors, bullying victimization and suicidal ideation in a national sample of high school students: implications of a sexual double standard.
- Authors: Dunn HK, Gjelsvik A, Pearlman DN, Clark MA
- Issue date: 2014 Sep-Oct
- Self-injury, suicide ideation, and sexual orientation: differences in causes and correlates among high school students.
- Authors: DeCamp W, Bakken NW
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Sexual Orientation Discordance and Nonfatal Suicidal Behaviors in U.S. High School Students.
- Authors: Annor FB, Clayton HB, Gilbert LK, Ivey-Stephenson AZ, Irving SM, David-Ferdon C, Kann LK
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Different forms of bullying and their association to smoking and drinking behavior in Italian adolescents.
- Authors: Vieno A, Gini G, Santinello M
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Cyberbullying victimisation and internalising and externalising problems among adolescents: the moderating role of parent-child relationship and child's sex.
- Authors: Sampasa-Kanyinga H, Lalande K, Colman I
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 13