MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe feasibility of audiologists removing earwax., 107 (10):318-20 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractAlthough cerumen management (CM) is routinely performed by audiologists in some countries, this is currently not the case in the Republic of Ireland. This study involved surveying the opinions of Audiologists and Ear Nose and Throat specialists (ENTs) in relation to audiologists conducting CM. In total, 20 ENT Consultants (29%) and 51 audiologists (64%) in the public services responded to an online survey. There was agreement that CM should be within audiologists' remit. However, with regard to risk, opinions were significantly different, with 15 ENTs (75%), compared to 14 audiologists (27%), in agreement that CM management by audiologists was more risky to patients. Nevertheless, 62 respondents (87%) supported future CM training for audiologists. The. overall similarities of opinion between the two groups contrasted to previous studies that reported strong opposition from ENTs with regard to audiologists managing earwax.
- Survey of audiologists and cerumen management.
- Authors: Johnson CE, Danhauer JL, Rice EN, Fisher SK
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Survey of ENT services in sub-Saharan Africa: little progress between 2009 and 2015.
- Authors: Mulwafu W, Ensink R, Kuper H, Fagan J
- Issue date: 2017
- Practice patterns of South African audiologists in cerumen management: a pilot study.
- Authors: Phanguphangu M
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- An Australian survey of audiologists' preferences for patient-centredness.
- Authors: Laplante-Lévesque A, Hickson L, Grenness C
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Audiologists' preferences for patient-centredness: a cross-sectional questionnaire study of cross-cultural differences and similarities among professionals in Portugal, India and Iran.
- Authors: Manchaiah V, Gomersall PA, Tomé D, Ahmadi T, Krishna R
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 14