A randomised controlled trial using the Epidrum for labour epidurals.
Briain, D O
Blood Patch, Epidural
Equipment Failure Analysis
Post-Dural Puncture Headache
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA randomised controlled trial using the Epidrum for labour epidurals. 2015, 108 (3):73-5 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe aim of our study was to determine if using the Epidrum to site epidurals improves success and reduces morbidity. Three hundred parturients requesting epidural analgesia for labour were enrolled. 150 subjects had their epidural sited using Epidrum and 150 using standard technique. We recorded subject demographics, operator experience, number of attempts, Accidental Dural Puncture rate, rate of failure to site epidural catheter, rate of failure of analgesia, Post Dural Puncture Headache and Epidural Blood Patch rates. Failure rate in Epidrum group was 9/150 (6%) vs 0 (0%) in the Control group (P = 0.003). There were four (2.66%) accidental dural punctures in the Epidrum group and none in the Control group (P = 0.060), and 2 epidurals out of 150 (1.33%) in Epidrum group were re-sited, versus 3/150 (2%) in the control group (P = 1.000). The results of our study do not suggest that using Epidrum improves success or reduces morbidity.
- A prospective controlled study of continuous spinal analgesia versus repeat epidural analgesia after accidental dural puncture in labour.
- Authors: Russell IF
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Epidural morphine injections for prevention of post dural puncture headache.
- Authors: Al-metwalli RR
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Prophylactic vs therapeutic blood patch for obstetric patients with accidental dural puncture--a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Stein MH, Cohen S, Mohiuddin MA, Dombrovskiy V, Lowenwirt I
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Failure rate and complications associated with the use of spinal catheters for the management of inadvertent dural puncture in the parturient: a retrospective comparison with re-sited epidural catheters.
- Authors: Tien M, Peacher DF, Franz AM, Jia SY, Habib AS
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Accidental dural puncture, postdural puncture headache, intrathecal catheters, and epidural blood patch: revisiting the old nemesis.
- Authors: Kaddoum R, Motlani F, Kaddoum RN, Srirajakalidindi A, Gupta D, Soskin V
- Issue date: 2014 Aug