Design and development of a film-based intervention about teenage men and unintended pregnancy: Applying the Medical Research Council framework in practice.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDesign and development of a film-based intervention about teenage men and unintended pregnancy: Applying the Medical Research Council framework in practice. 2014, 49C:19-30 Eval Program Plann
PublisherEvaluation and program planning
JournalEvaluation and program planning
AbstractFollowing the UK Medical Research Council's (MRC) guidelines for the development and evaluation of complex interventions, this study aimed to design, develop and optimise an educational intervention about young men and unintended teenage pregnancy based around an interactive film. The process involved identification of the relevant evidence base, development of a theoretical understanding of the phenomenon of unintended teenage pregnancy in relation to young men, and exploratory mixed methods research. The result was an evidence-based, theory-informed, user-endorsed intervention designed to meet the much neglected pregnancy education needs of teenage men and intended to increase both boys' and girls' intentions to avoid an unplanned pregnancy during adolescence. In prioritising the development phase, this paper addresses a gap in the literature on the processes of research-informed intervention design. It illustrates the application of the MRC guidelines in practice while offering a critique and additional guidance to programme developers on the MRC prescribed processes of developing interventions. Key lessons learned were: (1) know and engage the target population and engage gatekeepers in addressing contextual complexities; (2) know the targeted behaviours and model a process of change; and (3) look beyond development to evaluation and implementation.
- Feasibility trial of a film-based educational intervention for increasing boys' and girls' intentions to avoid teenage pregnancy: Study protocol.
- Authors: Lohan M, Aventin A, Maguire L, Clarke M, Linden M, McDaid L
- Issue date: 2014
- Implementing the United Kingdom's ten-year teenage pregnancy strategy for England (1999-2010): How was this done and what did it achieve?
- Authors: Hadley A, Ingham R, Chandra-Mouli V
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 22
- School-based model for preventing teenage pregnancy.
- Authors: Schinke SP
- Issue date: 1982 Jan
- Economic evaluation of a comprehensive teenage pregnancy prevention program: pilot program.
- Authors: Rosenthal MS, Ross JS, Bilodeau R, Richter RS, Palley JE, Bradley EH
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Risk factors for unplanned and unwanted teenage pregnancies occurring over two years of follow-up among a cohort of young South African women.
- Authors: Christofides NJ, Jewkes RK, Dunkle KL, McCarty F, Jama Shai N, Nduna M, Sterk C
- Issue date: 2014