Diagnosis and treatment of sleep related breathing disorders in children: 2007 to 2011.
Slattery, D M
Ní Chróinín, M
Cox, D W
Child Health Services
Diagnostic Techniques, Respiratory System
Health Care Surveys
Health Services Needs and Demand
Sleep Apnea Syndromes
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDiagnosis and treatment of sleep related breathing disorders in children: 2007 to 2011. 2015, 108 (3):71-3 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractSleep related breathing disorders (SRBD) have historically been under-recognised and under-treated. Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) affects approximately 3% of children. In line with the increased recognition of SRBD there has been an increase in demand for diagnostic services. We determined the awareness of SRBD amongst Irish paediatricians, examined the provision of sleep services to children throughout the country between 2007 and 2011 and audited diagnostic sleep services in a tertiary centre in 2011. Amongst respondents there was an awareness of SRBD but a poor understanding of diagnostic evaluation with 31/46 (67) referring to inappropriate services. There has been a sharp increase in both diagnostic sleep tests (433-1793 ) and in the use of non-invasive ventilation (NIV) (31-186 ) for treatment of SRBD between 2007 and 2011. Paediatric sleep services are organized in an ad-hoc manner nationally with significant service variation. The use of domiciliary overnight oximetry reduced the requirement for more formal polysomnography by 70%.
- [Respiratory sleep disorders in the elderly].
- Authors: Janssens JP, Pautex S, Hilleret H, Michel JP
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Sleep-related breathing disorder in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: disease spectrum in the paediatric population.
- Authors: Suresh S, Wales P, Dakin C, Harris MA, Cooper DG
- Issue date: 2005 Sep-Oct
- Usefulness of ambulatory ECG in the diagnosis of sleep-related breathing disorders.
- Authors: Ozegowski S, Wilczyńska E, Piorunek T, Szymanowska K, Paluszkiewicz L
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Subjective sleepiness in heart failure patients with sleep-related breathing disorder.
- Authors: Wang HQ, Chen G, Li J, Hao SM, Gu XS, Pang JN, Fu XH
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 20
- Manifestations and consequences of obstructive sleep apnoea.
- Authors: Peter JH, Koehler U, Grote L, Podszus T
- Issue date: 1995 Sep