Referral letters to the emergency department: is the medication list accurate?
Aged, 80 and over
Emergency Service, Hospital
Referral and Consultation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationReferral letters to the emergency department: is the medication list accurate? 2015, 108 (2):38-40 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractMedication errors are common when patients transfer across healthcare boundaries. This study was designed to investigate the quality of information on medicines provided by general practitioners (GPs) on emergency department (ED) referral letters. A convenience sample of referral letters to the ED of a teaching hospital was reviewed. The medication list and/or patient's drug allergy status were noted. Medicines reconciliation including patient (or carer) interview was conducted to determine the patient's actual home medication list. This was compared with the GP list and any discrepancies were identified and addressed. A total of 92 referral letters were included in the analysis of which 60 were computer-generated and 32 were hand-written. GPs provided dose and frequency of administration information in 47 (51%) of the letters sampled i.e. 44 (71%) computer-generated versus 3 (10%) hand-written; p < 0.001. In addition, the patient was taking their medicines exactly as per the GP list in 20 (22%) of cases. The patient's drug allergy status was documented in 13 (14%) of the letters.
- [Accuracy in the medication history and reconciliation errors in the emergency department].
- Authors: de Andrés-Lázaro AM, Sevilla-Sánchez D, Ortega-Romero Mdel M, Codina-Jané C, Calderón-Hernanz B, Sánchez-Sánchez M
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 5
- Accuracy of general practitioner medication histories for patients presenting to the emergency department.
- Authors: Taylor S, Welch S, Harding A, Abbott L, Riyat B, Morrow M, Lawrence D, Rodda S, Heward S
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Sources of pre-admission medication information: observational study of accuracy and availability.
- Authors: Fitzsimons M, Grimes T, Galvin M
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- [Quality of home medication collection in the Emergency Department: reconciliation discrepancies].
- Authors: Soler-Giner E, Izuel-Rami M, Villar-Fernández I, Real Campaña JM, Carrera Lasfuentes P, Rabanaque Hernández MJ
- Issue date: 2011 Jul-Aug
- Medication list assessment in Spanish hospital emergency departments.
- Authors: Baena Parejo MI, Juanes Borrego AM, Altimiras Ruiz J, Crespí Monjó M, García-Peláez M, Calderón Hernanz B, Calleja Hernández MÁ, Chinchilla Fernández MI, Prats Riera M, García Sánchez R, García Sánchez L, Vázquez López C, Mauleon Echeverria MD, Mas Serrano P
- Issue date: 2015 Apr