Chronic kidney disease and obesity in Ireland: comparison of self-reported coronary artery disease in population study with clinic attendees.
COROMARY ARTERY DISEASE
Aged, 80 and over
Body Mass Index
Coronary Artery Disease
Renal Insufficiency, Chronic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationChronic kidney disease and obesity in Ireland: comparison of self-reported coronary artery disease in population study with clinic attendees. 2015, 108 (2):56-8 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractObesity is a growing issue in Ireland. The link between obesity, CKD and CAD has not previously been described in the Irish population. The prevalence of obesity and CKD was compared across 3 groups: population based estimates with self-reported CAD, population based estimates without self-reported CAD (SLAN-07) and a random selection of cardiology outpatients with CAD. The SLAN-07 is a representative survey of 1207 randomly selected participants ≥ 45 years. Validated methods measured parameters including waist circumference, blood pressure and markers of renal function specifically glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) and albumin: creatinine ratio. The Cardiology clinic surveyed a random selection of 126 participants ≥ 45 years with CAD. Similar parameters were measured using the validated methods utilised in SLAN-07 study. Prevalence of obesity and renal disease was significantly higher in both CAD groups. At population level, risk factors were modelled using logistic regression to compare odds of participants with self-reported CAD with those without. Age, hypertension, obesity, elevated waist circumference, renal disease and diabetes are significantly associated with existing CAD. Obesity and CKD are more frequent in patients with CAD. Routine evaluation is essential to facilitate more intensive management of these risk factors.
- Prevalence of diminished kidney function in a representative sample of middle and older age adults in the Irish population.
- Authors: Browne GM, Eustace JA, Fitzgerald AP, Lutomski JE, Perry IJ
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 2
- Prevalence and risk factors for chronic kidney disease in patients with coronary artery disease.
- Authors: Bao YS, Na SP, Jia XB, Liu RC, Wang MA, Yu CY, Mu SH, Xie RJ
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Obesity and its relation to chronic kidney disease: a population-based, cross-sectional study of a Thai army population and relatives.
- Authors: Satirapoj B, Supasyndh O, Mayteedol N, Punpanich D, Chaiprasert A, Nata N, Ruangkanchanasetr P, Kanjanakul I, Choovichian P
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Prevalence of low glomerular filtration rate, proteinuria and associated risk factors in North India using Cockcroft-Gault and Modification of Diet in Renal Disease equation: an observational, cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Singh NP, Ingle GK, Saini VK, Jami A, Beniwal P, Lal M, Meena GS
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 17
- Prevalence of peripheral arterial disease in type 2 diabetes mellitus and its correlation with coronary artery disease and its risk factors.
- Authors: Agarwal AK, Singh M, Arya V, Garg U, Singh VP, Jain V
- Issue date: 2012 Jul