Local subject classificationPERSONALITY
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMedical speciality choice: does personality matter? 2015, 108 (3):75-8 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThere has been increasing interest in the personalities of doctors. This study examined whether personality differed based upon gender, level of training or medical speciality among 200 physicians and 134 medical students. Post-internship doctors scored significantly higher on conscientiousness (p = .001) than those pursuing basic medical training. Among those pursuing basic medical training, females scored significantly higher than males on agreeableness (p < .001) and conscientiousness (p = .001). Among post-internship respondents, females scored significantly higher on agreeableness (p = .004). There were no personality differences between post-internship doctors working in different specialities. However, among those pursuing basic medical training, those interested in person-focused medical specialities scored significantly higher on extraversion (p < .001), conscientiousness (p = .001), and lower on neuroticism (p = .01) than those who had no strong preference. These results suggest that there is no unique personality profile associated with medical practice, or medical speciality. Instead, it appears that medical school may shape personality.
- Association between personality traits and future choice of specialisation among Swedish doctors: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Bexelius TS, Olsson C, Järnbert-Pettersson H, Parmskog M, Ponzer S, Dahlin M
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Different but similar: personality traits of surgeons and internists-results of a cross-sectional observational study.
- Authors: Stienen MN, Scholtes F, Samuel R, Weil A, Weyerbrock A, Surbeck W
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 7
- Personality traits and career choices among physicians in Finland: employment sector, clinical patient contact, specialty and change of specialty.
- Authors: Mullola S, Hakulinen C, Presseau J, Gimeno Ruiz de Porras D, Jokela M, Hintsa T, Elovainio M
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 27
- Female medical students: who might make the cut?
- Authors: Coulston C, Vollmer-Conna U, Malhi G
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 30
- Role of personality in medical students' initial intention to become rural doctors.
- Authors: Jones MP, Eley D, Lampe L, Coulston CM, Malhli GS, Wilson I, Kelly B, Talley NJ, Owen C, Corrigan G, Griffin B, Humphreys J, Alba B, Stagg P
- Issue date: 2013 Apr