Ophthalmic manifestations of vitamin A and D deficiency in two autistic teenagers: case reports and a review of the literature.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOphthalmic manifestations of vitamin A and D deficiency in two autistic teenagers: case reports and a review of the literature., 6 (1):24-9 Case Rep Ophthalmol
JournalCase reports in ophthalmology
AbstractWe describe the cases of 2 autistic children with ophthalmic and systemic manifestations of vitamin A deficiency due to food faddism. Although vitamin A deficiency is common in the developing world, reports in developed societies are rare. Our patients presented over a 1-year period. The patients were 14 and 13 years old at the time of presentation and were both found to have marked features of vitamin A deficiency related to unusual dietary habits. Anterior segment signs of xerophthalmia were present in both patients. In addition, patient 1 showed evidence of a rod-predominant retinopathy, which resolved with vitamin A supplementation. Due to its rare occurrence, hypovitaminosis A must be highlighted and anticipated in this cohort.
- [Xerophthalmia in a 7-year-old autistic child].
- Authors: Enekvint A, Wonneberger W, Zetterberg M
- Issue date: 2021 Nov 16
- Vitamin A Deficiency Presenting with 'Itchy Eyes'.
- Authors: Lee MH, Sarossy MG, Zamir E
- Issue date: 2015 Sep-Dec
- Breast feeding and vitamin A deficiency among children attending a diarrhoea treatment centre in Bangladesh: a case-control study.
- Authors: Mahalanabis D
- Issue date: 1991 Aug 31
- Infant feeding practices reflect antecedent risk of xerophthalmia in Nepali children.
- Authors: Gittelsohn J, Shankar AV, West KP Jr, Ram R, Dhungel C, Dahal B
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- Nutritional ocular diseases and their association with diarrhoea in Matlab, Bangladesh.
- Authors: Khan MU, Haque E, Khan MR
- Issue date: 1984 Jul