Preparedness of elderly long-term care facilities in HSE East for influenza outbreaks.
Local subject classificationPUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT
HEALTH SERVICE PLANNING
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
Homes for the Aged
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPreparedness of elderly long-term care facilities in HSE East for influenza outbreaks. 2015, 108 (1):6-8 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractAbstract We assessed preparedness of HSE East elderly long-term care facilities for an influenza outbreak, and identified Public Health Department support needs. We surveyed 166 facilities based on the HSE checklist document for influenza outbreaks, with 58% response rate. Client flu vaccination rates were > 75%; leading barriers were client anxiety and consent issues. Target flu vaccine uptake of 40% in staff occurred in 43% of facilities and was associated with staff vaccine administration by afacility-attached GP (p = 0.035), having a facility outbreak plan (p = 0.013) and being anon-HSE run facility (p = 0.013). Leading barriers were staff personal anxiety (94%) and lack of awareness of the protective effect on clients (21%). Eighty-nine percent found Public Health helpful, and requested further educational support and advocacy. Staff vaccine uptake focus, organisational leadership, optimal vaccine provision models, outbreak plans and Public Health support are central to the influenza campaign in elderly long-term care facilities.
- Prevention of influenza and pneumococcal pneumonia in Canadian long-term care facilities: how are we doing?
- Authors: Stevenson CG, McArthur MA, Naus M, Abraham E, McGeer AJ
- Issue date: 2001 May 15
- The influence of staff and resident immunization rates on influenza-like illness outbreaks in nursing homes.
- Authors: Shugarman LR, Hales C, Setodji CM, Bardenheier B, Lynn J
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Attitudes and Uptake of Seasonal Influenza Vaccination for Health Service Executive (HSE) Staff.
- Authors: Quintyne KI, Daly E, Brabazon E, Finnegan P, Kavanagh P
- Issue date: 2018 May 10
- Influenza campaign 2006 and 2007: a residential care success story.
- Authors: Munford C, Finnigan S
- Issue date: 2008 Winter
- Influenza immunization coverage of residents and employees of long-term care facilities in New York State, 2000-2010.
- Authors: Person CJ, Nadeau JA, Schaffzin JK, Pollock L, Wallace BJ, McNutt LA, Blog D
- Issue date: 2013 Aug