The impact of four family support programmes for people with a disability in Ireland.
Local subject classificationSUPPORT SERVICE
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe impact of four family support programmes for people with a disability in Ireland. 2015, 19 (1):34-50 J Intellect Disabil
JournalJournal of intellectual disabilities : JOID
AbstractThis article reports on an evaluation of four family support programmes in Ireland for families of people with a physical or an intellectual disability or autism. The focus of the evaluation, which took place within a year of the programmes' completion, was on establishing whether the programmes had an impact on families' capacity to effectively support their family member.
A mixed-method design was used, which included a survey (n = 38) and interviews (n = 19) with participating family members. Ethical approval for the study was given by the relevant university ethics committee.
Findings suggest that participation in the programmes enhanced knowledge, attitudes, and competencies of families and also impacted their ability to advocate for their family member and to connect with the community.
Whilst outcomes were overwhelmingly positive, further follow-up would be required to ascertain if sustained capacity building took place.
SponsorsPermission granted from authors.
- People with intellectual disability and their families' perspectives of Special Olympics Ireland: Qualitative findings from the SOPHIE study.
- Authors: Bowers K, Corby D, Lambert V, Staines A, McVeigh T, McKeon M, Hoey E, Belton S, Meegan S, Walsh D, Trépel D, Griffin P, Sweeney MR
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Perspectives of family members of people with an intellectual disability to a major reconfiguration of living arrangements for people with intellectual disability in Ireland.
- Authors: O'Doherty S, Linehan C, Tatlow-Golden M, Craig S, Kerr M, Lynch C, Staines A
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Disability and family in the People's Republic of China: implementation, benefits, and comparison of two mutual support groups.
- Authors: McCabe H, McCabe K
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Family voices: life for family carers of people with intellectual disabilities in Ireland.
- Authors: Chadwick DD, Mannan H, Garcia Iriarte E, McConkey R, O'Brien P, Finlay F, Lawlor A, Harrington G
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Experiencing rights within positive, person-centred support networks of people with intellectual disability in Australia.
- Authors: Hillman A, Donelly M, Whitaker L, Dew A, Stancliffe RJ, Knox M, Shelley K, Parmenter TR
- Issue date: 2012 Nov