An analysis of the recording of tobacco use among inpatients in Irish hospitals.
CitationSheridan, A. & Howell, F., 2014. An analysis of the recording of tobacco use among inpatients in Irish hospitals. Irish Medical Journal. 107 (9) pp 275-8
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractSmoking is the largest avoidable cause of premature mortality in the world. Hospital admission is an opportunity to identify and help smokers quit. This study aimed to determine the level of recording of tobacco use (current and past) in Irish hospitals. Information on inpatient discharges with a tobacco use diagnosis was extracted from HIPE. In 2011, a quarter (n=84, 679) of discharges had a recording of tobacco use, which were more common among males (29% (n=50,161) male v. 20% (n=30,162) female), among medical patients (29% (n=54,375) medical v. 20% (n=30,162) other) and was highest among those aged 55-59 years (30.6%; n=7,885). SLAN 2007 reported that 48% of adults had smoked at some point in their lives. This study would suggest an under- reporting of tobacco use among hospital inpatients. Efforts should be made to record smoking status at hospital admission, and to improve the quality of the HIPE coding of tobacco use.
- An audit of the prevalence of recorded nicotine dependence treatment in an Australian psychiatric hospital.
- Authors: Wye P, Bowman J, Wiggers J, Baker A, Carr V, Terry M, Knight J, Clancy R
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Smoking prevalence among qualified nurses in the Republic of Ireland and their role in smoking cessation.
- Authors: O'Donovan G
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Smoking cessation interventions in the pre-admission clinic: assessing two approaches.
- Authors: Sachs R, Wild TC, Thomas L, Hammal F, Finegan BA
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Cigarette smoking knowledge and perceptions among students in four Italian medical schools.
- Authors: Grassi MC, Chiamulera C, Baraldo M, Culasso F, Ferketich AK, Raupach T, Patrono C, Nencini P
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- The relation of tobacco use during hospitalization to post-discharge smoking cessation among US veterans.
- Authors: Duffy SA, Scholten RL, Karvonen-Gutierrez CA
- Issue date: 2010 May-Jun