Flexor tendon repair: a comparative study between a knotless barbed suture repair and a traditional four-strand monofilament suture repair.
Affiliation1Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, St. Vincent's University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFlexor tendon repair: a comparative study between a knotless barbed suture repair and a traditional four-strand monofilament suture repair. 2014, 39 (1):40-5 J Hand Surg Eur Vol
JournalThe Journal of hand surgery, European volume
AbstractWe compared the tensile strength of a novel knotless barbed suture method with a traditional four-strand Adelaide technique for flexor tendon repairs. Forty fresh porcine flexor tendons were transected and randomly assigned to one of the repair groups before repair. Biomechanical testing demonstrated that the tensile strengths between both tendon groups were very similar. However, less force was required to create a 2 mm gap in the four-strand repair method compared with the knotless barbed technique. There was a significant reduction in the cross-sectional area in the barbed suture group after repair compared with the Adelaide group. This would create better gliding within the pulley system in vivo and could decrease gapping and tendon rupture.
- Flexor tendon repair with a knotless, bidirectional barbed suture: an in vivo biomechanical analysis.
- Authors: Maddox GE, Ludwig J, Craig ER, Woods D, Joiner A, Chaudhari N, Killingsworth C, Siegal GP, Eberhardt A, Ponce B
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Biomechanics Study of the Holding Power between Tendon and Suture Using Different Techniques.
- Authors: Liawrungrueang W, Wongsiri S
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Performance of a knotless four-strand flexor tendon repair with a unidirectional barbed suture device: a dynamic ex vivo comparison.
- Authors: Peltz TS, Haddad R, Scougall PJ, Gianoutsos MP, Bertollo N, Walsh WR
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- The effect of barbed suture tendon repair on work of flexion.
- Authors: Ben-Amotz O, Kargel J, Mailey B, Sammer DM
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Flexor tendon repair with a knotless barbed suture: a comparative biomechanical study.
- Authors: Marrero-Amadeo IC, Chauhan A, Warden SJ, Merrell GA
- Issue date: 2011 Jul