AffiliationSligo Regional Hospital, Ireland.
Local subject classificationOCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
Attitude of Health Personnel
Critical Care Nursing
Nursing Staff, Hospital
Personnel Staffing and Scheduling
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDonnelly, T., 2014. Stress among nurses working in an acute hospital in Ireland. British Journal of Nursing, 23 (13), pp 746-50
PublisherBritish Journal of Nursing
JournalBritish journal of nursing
AbstractStress among nurses leads to absenteeism, reduced efficiency, long-term health problems and a decrease in the quality of patient care delivered. A quantitative cross-sectional study was conducted. The study's aim was to identify perceived stressors and influencing factors among nurses working in the critical and non-critical care practice areas. A convenience sample of 200 nurses were invited to complete the Bianchi Stress Questionnaire. Information was collected on demographics and daily nursing practice. Findings indicated that perceived stressors were similar in both groups. The most severe stressors included redeployment to work in other areas and staffing levels. Results from this study suggest that age, job title, professional experience and formal post-registration qualifications had no influence on stress perception. These results will increase awareness of nurses' occupational stress in Ireland.
- Self-assessed quality of sleep, occupational health, working environment, illness experience and job satisfaction of female nurses working different combination of shifts.
- Authors: Sveinsdóttir H
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Comparing Jordanian nurses' job stressors in stressful and non stressful clinical areas.
- Authors: Hamaideh SH, Ammouri A
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Stress among nephrology nurses in Northern Ireland.
- Authors: Murphy F
- Issue date: 2004 Jul-Aug
- The relationship between nurses' stress and nurse staffing factors in a hospital setting.
- Authors: Purcell SR, Kutash M, Cobb S
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Dimensions of hospital nurses' quality of working life.
- Authors: Hsu MY, Kernohan G
- Issue date: 2006 Apr