Somatoform abdominal pain in surgery: is SD worthy of surgical attention? Case reports and literature review.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Midland Regional Hospital Mullingar, Mullingar, Westmeath, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MENTAL AND BEHAVIOURAL DISORDER
Referral and Consultation
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAbd Elwahab SM. Somatoform abdominal pain in surgery: is SD worthy of surgical attention? Case reports and literature review. BMJ Case Rep. Aug 24;2012
JournalBMJ case reports
AbstractSomatoform disorders (SD) or medically unexplained physical symptoms (MUPS) are a group of disorders that represent a group of symptoms that cannot be explained by an organic or physical pathology. These disorders are widely prevalent, and, if unrecognised, SD may lead medical professionals to embark on tests or procedures which may inflict unnecessary iatrogenic complications. Despite the high prevalence, they are only poorly included in medical training curricula, at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. In this article, we review the literature and present two cases. The first one presented with a recurrent acute abdomen had an unnecessary CT abdomen. The second case had laparoscopy for acute right-sided abdominal pain which turned out to be normal, and was readmitted again after a short period with acute urine retention which resolved spontaneously following discussion with the patient and family. Both cases were referred for psychiatric assessment and their family doctors were informed.
- Presentation of the Multidisciplinary Guideline Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms (MUPS) and Somatoform Disorder in the Netherlands: disease management according to risk profiles.
- Authors: van der Feltz-Cornelis CM, Hoedeman R, Keuter EJ, Swinkels JA
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- [Efficacy of basic surgical diagnosis in acute abdominal pain].
- Authors: Cassina P, Röthlin M, Largiadèr F
- Issue date: 1996 Mar
- Somatoform disorders.
- Authors: Oyama O, Paltoo C, Greengold J
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 1
- [Practice guideline 'Medically unexplained physical symptoms (MUPS) and somatoform disorders': a step in the right direction].
- Authors: Lucassen PL
- Issue date: 2011
- Medically unexplained physical symptoms in emergency medicine.
- Authors: Stephenson DT, Price JR
- Issue date: 2006 Aug