Payment of research participants: current practice and policies of Irish research ethics committees.
AffiliationCluain Mhuire Community Mental Health Service, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
MeSHEthics Committees, Research
Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRoche E et al. Payment of research participants: current practice and policies of Irish research ethics committees. J Med Ethics. 2013, 39 (9):591-3
JournalJournal of medical ethics
AbstractPayment of research participants helps to increase recruitment for research studies, but can pose ethical dilemmas. Research ethics committees (RECs) have a centrally important role in guiding this practice, but standardisation of the ethical approval process in Ireland is lacking.
Our aim was to examine REC policies, experiences and concerns with respect to the payment of participants in research projects in Ireland.
Postal survey of all RECs in Ireland.
Response rate was 62.5% (n=50). 80% of RECs reported not to have any established policy on the payment of research subjects while 20% had refused ethics approval to studies because the investigators proposed to pay research participants. The most commonly cited concerns were the potential for inducement and undermining of voluntary consent.
There is considerable variability among RECs on the payment of research participants and a lack of clear consensus guidelines on the subject. The development of standardised guidelines on the payment of research subjects may enhance recruitment of research participants.
SponsorsFunding The cost of postage for the survey was covered by the Lucena Foundation as part of a fund made available to the Academic Chair.
- Paying research participants: a study of current practices in Australia.
- Authors: Fry CL, Ritter A, Baldwin S, Bowen KJ, Gardiner P, Holt T, Jenkinson R, Johnston J
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Current status of the research ethics committees in Thailand.
- Authors: Panichkul S, Mahaisavariya P, Morakote N, Condo S, Caengow S, Ketunpanya A
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Undue inducement: the only objection to payment?
- Authors: VanderWalde A
- Issue date: 2005 Sep-Oct
- Law, ethics and research ethics committees.
- Authors: Beyleveld D
- Issue date: 2002
- Human Participants in Engineering Research: Notes from a Fledgling Ethics Committee.
- Authors: Koepsell D, Brinkman WP, Pont S
- Issue date: 2015 Aug