Paediatric early warning scores on a children's ward: a quality improvement initiative.
AffiliationUniversity Hospital Waterford, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEnnis L. Paediatric early warning scores on a children's ward: a quality improvement initiative. Nurs Child Young People. 2014, 26 (7):25-31 Nurs Child Young People
PublisherNursing children and young people
JournalNursing children and young people
AbstractThe aim of this quality improvement initiative was to incorporate a paediatric early warning score (PEWS) and track and trigger system in the routine care of children in an acute general children's ward at a regional hospital in the Republic of Ireland. In the absence of a nationally recommended specific PEWS strategy, a local plan was developed. The experience of structuring and implementing the PEWS and track and trigger system is presented in this article. Data from the first year of use were collected to evaluate the clinical utility and effectiveness of this system. In the busy acute children's service, the PEWS initiative was found to benefit processes of early detection, prompt referral and timely, appropriate management of children at potential risk of clinical deterioration. Nursing staff were empowered and supported to communicate concerns immediately and to seek rapid medical review, according to an agreed PEWS escalation plan. Outcomes were significantly improved.
- [Results of applying a paediatric early warning score system as a healthcare quality improvement plan].
- Authors: Rivero-Martín MJ, Prieto-Martínez S, García-Solano M, Montilla-Pérez M, Tena-Martín E, Ballesteros-García MM
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- A multicentre, randomised intervention study of the Paediatric Early Warning Score: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Jensen CS, Aagaard H, Olesen HV, Kirkegaard H
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 8
- Validation of the Children's Hospital Early Warning System for Critical Deterioration Recognition.
- Authors: McLellan MC, Gauvreau K, Connor JA
- Issue date: 2017 Jan - Feb
- Multicentre validation of the bedside paediatric early warning system score: a severity of illness score to detect evolving critical illness in hospitalised children.
- Authors: Parshuram CS, Duncan HP, Joffe AR, Farrell CA, Lacroix JR, Middaugh KL, Hutchison JS, Wensley D, Blanchard N, Beyene J, Parkin PC
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 3
- Improved outcomes after successful implementation of a pediatric early warning system (PEWS) in a resource-limited pediatric oncology hospital.
- Authors: Agulnik A, Mora Robles LN, Forbes PW, Soberanis Vasquez DJ, Mack R, Antillon-Klussmann F, Kleinman M, Rodriguez-Galindo C
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1