Adoption of intracameral antibiotic prophylaxis of endophthalmitis following cataract surgery: update on the ESCRS Endophthalmitis Study.
AffiliationRoyal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital and St Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Local subject classificationANTIBIOTICS
Health Care Surveys
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBarry P. Adoption of intracameral antibiotic prophylaxis of endophthalmitis following cataract surgery: update on the ESCRS endophthalmitis study. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2014, 40 (1):138-42
JournalJournal of cataract and refractive surgery
AbstractTo determine the use of intracameral cefuroxime at the end of cataract surgery since the beneficial results were first reported by the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons Endophthalmitis Study Group in 2006, 250 ophthalmic surgeons affiliated with both public and private hospitals and clinics across Europe were surveyed. The questions regarded their awareness of the results of the ESCRS endophthalmitis study and their current use or non-use of intracameral antibiotics in their cataract procedures. Seventy-four percent of respondents said they always or usually use intracameral antibiotics in their cataract surgery procedures. The most frequently cited reasons for not using cefuroxime or other intracameral antibiotics was the lack of an approved commercial preparation and related anxieties regarding the risk of dilution errors and contamination. More than 90% of respondents said they would use cefuroxime if an approved single-unit dose product were commercially available.
- Prophylaxis of postoperative endophthalmitis following cataract surgery: results of the ESCRS multicenter study and identification of risk factors.
- Authors: Endophthalmitis Study Group, European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons.
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- United Kingdom survey of antibiotic prophylaxis practice after publication of the ESCRS Endophthalmitis Study.
- Authors: Gore DM, Angunawela RI, Little BC
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- ESCRS study of prophylaxis of postoperative endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: Preliminary report of principal results from a European multicenter study.
- Authors: Barry P, Seal DV, Gettinby G, Lees F, Peterson M, Revie CW, ESCRS Endophthalmitis Study Group.
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Adherence to European Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery recommendations among Italian cataract surgeons: a survey.
- Authors: Grosso A, Pertile G, Marchini G, Scarpa G, Ceruti P, Prigione G, Romano MR, Bert F, Gili R, Panico C, Siliquini R, Engelbert M
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 4
- Intracameral cefuroxime: prophylaxis of postoperative endophthalmitis after cataract surgery.
- Authors: Keating GM
- Issue date: 2013 Feb