Autobuttressing of colorectal anastomoses using a mesenteric flap.
Local subject classificationSURGERY, COLORECTAL
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMohan HM, Winter DC. Autobuttressing of colorectal anastomoses using a mesenteric flap. Updates Surg. 2013, 65 (4):333-5
JournalUpdates in surgery
AbstractAnastomotic leakage is a common and dreaded complication of colorectal surgery. Many different approaches have been tried to attempt to reduce leakage and associated morbidity. The concept of reinforcement of an anastomosis by buttressing is well established. Techniques described include using sutures, native omentum, animal or synthetic material. We report a technique for buttressing using a mesenteric flap to envelope the anastomosis. The primary rationale is to reduce clinical sequelae of anastomotic leakage by promoting local containment, as well as providing a scaffold for healing. Using autologous tissue provides a safe, time-efficient and cost-effective buttress without the risks of infection or reaction associated with foreign material. A mesenteric flap is particularly useful in patients in whom omentum is not available due to previous surgery, or to fill the dead space posterior to a low anastomosis within the pelvis.
- Systematic review of the technique of colorectal anastomosis.
- Authors: Slieker JC, Daams F, Mulder IM, Jeekel J, Lange JF
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Reducing anastomotic leakage by reinforcement of colorectal anastomosis with cyanoacrylate glue.
- Authors: Wu Z, Vakalopoulos KA, Kroese LF, Boersema GS, Kleinrensink GJ, Jeekel J, Lange JF
- Issue date: 2013
- Delayed transanal repair of persistent coloanal anastomotic leak in diverted patients after resection for rectal cancer.
- Authors: Blumetti J, Chaudhry V, Prasad L, Abcarian H
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Do we really know why colorectal anastomoses leak?
- Authors: Shogan BD, Carlisle EM, Alverdy JC, Umanskiy K
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Safety and efficacy of a novel linear staple device with bioabsorbable polyglicolic acid felt in laparoscopic colorectal surgery.
- Authors: Naito M, Yamanashi T, Nakamura T, Miura H, Tsutsui A, Sato T, Watanabe M
- Issue date: 2017 Feb