Cemented versus uncemented fixation in total hip replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedics, Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital, Finglas, Dublin; Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland.
Local subject classificationSURGERY, ORTHOPAEDIC
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAbdulkarim A et al. Cemented versus uncemented fixation in total hip replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2013, 5 (1):e8
AbstractThe optimal method of fixation for primary total hip replacements (THR), particularly fixation with or without the use of cement is still controversial. In a systematic review and metaanalysis of all randomized controlled trials comparing cemented versus uncemented THRS available in the published literature, we found that there is no significant difference between cemented and uncemented THRs in terms of implant survival as measured by the revision rate. Better short-term clinical outcome, particularly an improved pain score can be obtained with cemented fixation. However, the results are unclear for the long-term clinical and functional outcome between the two groups. No difference was evident in the mortality and the post operative complication rate. On the other hand, the radiographic findings were variable and do not seem to correlate with clinical findings as differences in the surgical technique and prosthesis design might be associated with the incidence of osteolysis. We concluded in our review that cemented THR is similar if not superior to uncemented THR, and provides better short term clinical outcomes. Further research, improved methodology and longer follow up are necessary to better define specific subgroups of patients in whom the relative benefits of cemented and uncemented implant fixation can be clearly demonstrated.
- Revision following cemented and uncemented primary total hip replacement: a seven-year analysis from the New Zealand Joint Registry.
- Authors: Hooper GJ, Rothwell AG, Stringer M, Frampton C
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Comparison of cemented and uncemented fixation in total hip replacement: a meta-analysis.
- Authors: Morshed S, Bozic KJ, Ries MD, Malchau H, Colford JM Jr
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- [Influence of the Type of Hip-Component Fixation and Age of Patients on Mid-Term Revision Rate of Total Hip Replacement].
- Authors: Kubinec V
- Issue date: 2018
- Association Between Total Hip Replacement Characteristics and 3-Year Prosthetic Survivorship: A Population-Based Study.
- Authors: Colas S, Collin C, Piriou P, Zureik M
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Association Between Uncemented vs Cemented Hemiarthroplasty and Revision Surgery Among Patients With Hip Fracture.
- Authors: Okike K, Chan PH, Prentice HA, Paxton EW, Burri RA
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 17