The natural history and clinical syndromes of degenerative cervical spondylosis.
AffiliationDepartment of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Finglas, Dublin 11, Ireland.
KeywordsSPINAL CORD DISEASE AND DISORDER
Local subject classificationORTHOPAEDICS
MetadataShow full item record
CitationKelly JC et al. The natural history and clinical syndromes of degenerative cervical spondylosis. Adv Orthop. 2012, 2012:393642
PublisherAdvances in orthopedics
JournalAdvances in orthopedics
AbstractCervical spondylosis is a broad term which describes the age related chronic disc degeneration, which can also affect the cervical vertebrae, the facet and other joints and their associated soft tissue supports. Evidence of spondylitic change is frequently found in many asymptomatic adults. Radiculopathy is a result of intervertebral foramina narrowing. Narrowing of the spinal canal can result in spinal cord compression, ultimately resulting in cervical spondylosis myelopathy. This review article examines the current literature in relation to the cervical spondylosis and describes the three clinical syndromes of axial neck pain, cervical radiculopathy and cervical myelopathy.
- Arthroplasty for cervical spondylotic myelopathy: similar results to patients with only radiculopathy at 3 years' follow-up.
- Authors: Fay LY, Huang WC, Wu JC, Chang HK, Tsai TY, Ko CC, Tu TH, Wu CL, Cheng H
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Cervical spondylosis anatomy: pathophysiology and biomechanics.
- Authors: Shedid D, Benzel EC
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- The pathogenesis of cervical spondylosis.
- Authors: Lestini WF, Wiesel SW
- Issue date: 1989 Feb
- [Influence of Cervical Spondylotic Spinal Cord Compression on Cerebral Cortical Adaptation. Radiological Study].
- Authors: Hrabálek L, Hluštík P, Hok P, Čecháková E, Wanek T, Otruba P, Vaverka M, Kaňovský P
- Issue date: 2015
- The relationship between the cervical spinal canal diameter and the pathological changes in the cervical spine.
- Authors: Morishita Y, Naito M, Hymanson H, Miyazaki M, Wu G, Wang JC
- Issue date: 2009 Jun