AffiliationHealth Information Unit, Eastern Health Board, Dr Steeven's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMcDonnell RJ et al. Health risk profile of prostitutes in Dublin. Int J STD AIDS. 1998, 9 (8):485-8
JournalInternational journal of STD & AIDS
AbstractThis study examined the health risk profile of prostitutes in Dublin. Clinical records of all 150 new prostitutes who attended a drop-in clinic for prostitutes in Dublin city during the period 1991-1997 were reviewed. Variables examined included: age, use of injectable drugs, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) status, hepatitis B and C status, presence of sexually transmitted disease (STD), cervical cytology. Results showed the mean age of the women was 32 years. Among those tested, 2.5% were HIV positive, 5% were hepatitis B positive, 8% were hepatitis C positive and 25% had an STD. Almost 8% were injecting drug users (IDU) with higher prevalences of HIV, hepatitis B and C compared with non-IDU (P < 0.001). The clinic has been successful in providing a health-care facility for the specific health needs of this patient cohort.
- Patterns of risk behaviour for patients with sexually transmitted diseases and surveillance for human immunodeficiency virus in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Authors: Lye MS, Archibald C, Ghazali AA, Low BT, Teoh BH, Sinniah M, Rus SC, Singh J, Nair RC
- Issue date: 1994 Mar-Apr
- Seropositivity to Chlamydia trachomatis in prostitutes: relationship to other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- Authors: Caterino-de-Araujo A, de-los-Santos Fortuna E
- Issue date: 1990
- [Social and work conditions, risk behavior and prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases among female immigrant prostitutes in Madrid (Spain)].
- Authors: Belza MJ, Clavo P, Ballesteros J, Menéndez B, Castilla J, Sanz S, Jerez N, Rodríguez C, Sánchez F, del Romero J
- Issue date: 2004 May-Jun
- Factors associated with sexually transmitted diseases among prostitutes in Singapore.
- Authors: Wong ML, Tan TC, Ho ML, Lim JY, Wan S, Chan R
- Issue date: 1992 Sep-Oct
- Hepatitis B virus infection and vaccination status of high risk people in Sydney: 1982 and 1991.
- Authors: Anderson B, Bodsworth NJ, Rohrsheim RA, Donovan BJ
- Issue date: 1994 Sep 19