AffiliationHealth Information Unit, Eastern Health Board, Dr Steeven's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMcDonnell RJ et al. Health risk profile of prostitutes in Dublin. Int J STD AIDS. 1998, 9 (8):485-8
JournalInternational journal of STD & AIDS
AbstractThis study examined the health risk profile of prostitutes in Dublin. Clinical records of all 150 new prostitutes who attended a drop-in clinic for prostitutes in Dublin city during the period 1991-1997 were reviewed. Variables examined included: age, use of injectable drugs, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) status, hepatitis B and C status, presence of sexually transmitted disease (STD), cervical cytology. Results showed the mean age of the women was 32 years. Among those tested, 2.5% were HIV positive, 5% were hepatitis B positive, 8% were hepatitis C positive and 25% had an STD. Almost 8% were injecting drug users (IDU) with higher prevalences of HIV, hepatitis B and C compared with non-IDU (P < 0.001). The clinic has been successful in providing a health-care facility for the specific health needs of this patient cohort.
- Sexual health and use of condoms among local and international sex workers in Sydney.
- Authors: O'Connor CC, Berry G, Rohrsheim R, Donovan B
- Issue date: 1996 Feb
- Human immunodeficiency virus and female prostitutes, Sydney 1985.
- Authors: Philpot CR, Harcourt C, Edwards J, Grealis A
- Issue date: 1988 Jun
- Trends in sexually transmitted diseases and condom use patterns among commercial sex workers in Fukuoka City, Japan 1990-93.
- Authors: Tanaka M, Nakayama H, Sakumoto M, Matsumoto T, Akazawa K, Kumazawa J
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- A survey of female prostitutes at risk of HIV infection and other sexually transmissible diseases.
- Authors: Philpot CR, Harcourt CL, Edwards JM
- Issue date: 1991 Oct
- Patterns of risk behaviour for patients with sexually transmitted diseases and surveillance for human immunodeficiency virus in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Authors: Lye MS, Archibald C, Ghazali AA, Low BT, Teoh BH, Sinniah M, Rus SC, Singh J, Nair RC
- Issue date: 1994 Mar-Apr