Folic acid knowledge and use among expectant mothers in 1997: a comparison with 1996.
AffiliationHealth Information Unit Eastern Health Board, Dr. Steeven's Hospital, Dublin. email@example.com
Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMcDonnell R et al. Folic acid knowledge and use among expectant mothers in 1997: a comparison with 1996. Ir Med J. 1999, 92 (3):296-9
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis study examined changes in folic acid knowledge and use among antenatal women in Dublin maternity hospitals between 1996 and 1997, following a campaign to improve the very low uptake of peri-conceptional folic acid. The results showed significant improvements between the two years. Almost 76% of respondents had heard of folic acid in 1997 compared with 54% in 1996 (p < 0.01), with a shift in the proportion of people hearing of folic acid from hospital doctors to general practitioners (GP). Almost 43% of respondents in 1997 knew that folic acid can prevent spina bifida compared with 21% in 1996 (p < 0.01). A higher proportion was taking folic acid prior to conception in 1997 (16% vs 6%, p < 0.01). We conclude that the improvements may have been in part due to the promotional campaign among health professionals, women's groups and the media. However, less than a fifth of women were taking folic acid peri-conceptionally in 1997 and there is still scope for much improvement.
- Knowledge and use of peri-conceptional folic acid among antenatal patients.
- Authors: Sayers G, Scallan E, McDonnell R, Johnson Z
- Issue date: 1997 Oct
- Folic acid and prevention of neural tube defects in 2000 improved awareness--low peri-conceptional uptake.
- Authors: Oleary M, Donnell RM, Johnson H
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Folic acid supplements to prevent neural tube defects: trends in East of Ireland 1996-2002.
- Authors: Ward M, Hutton J, Mc Donnell R, Bachir N, Scallan E, O'Leary M, Hoey J, Doyle A, Delany V, Sayers G
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Maternal knowledge, attitude and practice on folic acid intake among Arabian Qatari women.
- Authors: Bener A, Al Maadid MG, Al-Bast DA, Al-Marri S
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Determinants of folic acid knowledge and use among antenatal women.
- Authors: McDonnell R, Johnson Z, Doyle A, Sayers G
- Issue date: 1999 Jun