AffiliationSchool of Medicine, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland, firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPostgraduate training in Ireland: expectations and experience. 2014: Ir J Med Sci
PublisherIrish journal of medical science
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractPostgraduate medical training in Ireland has been compared unfavourably with training abroad and blamed for an "exodus" of graduates of Irish medical schools. Exploration of features of a good training environment and development of tools to measure it have been the focus of much published research. There have been no Irish studies examining training environment using such validated tools.
The aim of this study was to use a validated tool, to examine the expectations and experience of training, amongst those training under the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (RCPI).
The Dutch Residency Education Climate Test (D-RECT) is a 50 item tool to measure postgraduate learning environments. D-RECT was sent to all new entrants to RCPI training programmes in July 2012 (n = 527) and completed in regard to expectations of training (response rate 80.6 %). In March 2013, D-RECT was sent to all RCPI trainees (n = 1,246) to complete in relation to the post held on 1 March (response rate 32.6 %). Data were analysed in SPSS version 18.
Experience fell short of expectations for basic specialist training, however, scores for experience rose with greater seniority to match expectations. Positive aspects were teamwork, consultant willingness to discuss patients and respectful treatment of trainees. Areas of weakness were provision of feedback and time to learn new skills.
Measurement of learning environment at a national level using a quantitative tool provides useful information for quality assurance and improvement of training.
- Exodus? The training paths and plans of postgraduate medical trainees, under the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland.
- Authors: Bennett D, Dornan T, Bergin C, Horgan M
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Cross-validation of a learning climate instrument in a non-western postgraduate clinical environment.
- Authors: Pacifico JL, van der Vleuten CPM, Muijtjens AMM, Sana EA, Heeneman S
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 25
- Focus on Quality: Investigating Residents' Learning Climate Perceptions.
- Authors: Silkens ME, Arah OA, Scherpbier AJ, Heineman MJ, Lombarts KM
- Issue date: 2016
- Towards healthy learning climates in postgraduate medical education: exploring the role of hospital-wide education committees.
- Authors: Silkens MEWM, Lombarts KMJMH, Scherpbier AJJA, Heineman MJ, Arah OA
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 6
- Measurement of the Postgraduate Educational Environment of Junior Doctors Training in Medicine at an Irish University Teaching Hospital.
- Authors: Flaherty GT, Connolly R, O'Brien T
- Issue date: 2016 Aug